Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Vehicle recovery organisations
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  10:50:36  Show Profile
Bob Stringfield mentions in another thread "membership of a recovery service".
I imagine the AA or RAC, although the individual patrol might be fascinated, will not be too willing to deal with 75 year old cars as it's "inevitable that they will break down" and so will not be a commercially viable risk.
Do members have experience which suggests the contrary, or is there some organisation other than the "Forth Emergency Service" that will happily take us on?
Similarly, is there an organisation which will recover from the Continent, without charging the National Debt of some of its countries?

Dave

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  11:01:05  Show Profile
If I understand it correctly, any person who purchases the AA/RAC type recovery 'insurance' can use it to have any vehicle* they are travelling in recovered in the event of breakdown and it is not specific to a particular vehicle.

*Even if they don't own it.

I used my RAC recovery insurance to recover my 1927 motorcycle when I got a rear wheel puncture one evening.

Edited by - kimber on 02/12/2011 12:15:35
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  11:23:19  Show Profile
and in the Austin 7 world, our insurance scheme (£45 pa, fully comp) includes European Breakdown recovery. Just make sure you ask for a flat bed truck, should you need it, as our cars often won't fit on a conventional recovery vehicle.

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  11:36:29  Show Profile
A couple of years ago I drove a MG TF1500 to Le Mans Classic, and my wife (ever careful) contacted the RAC, where we have recovery insurace, to ensure it covered return from France.

They did try to add a surcharge (not excessive) but she persuaded them that owners of such cars are very careful of their precious charges and competent at minor repairs, at which point they provided the cover at no additional cost.

IanB
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  12:16:57  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Orstin

and in the Austin 7 world, our insurance scheme (£45 pa, fully comp) includes European Breakdown recovery. Just make sure you ask for a flat bed truck, should you need it, as our cars often won't fit on a conventional recovery vehicle.

So many dynamos

Presumably thats just recovery insurance, not driving?
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  15:11:36  Show Profile
Thank you all. it sounds as though I've wrongly maligned the yellow and the orange vans then!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  16:14:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kimber

quote:
Originally posted by Orstin

So many dynamos

Presumably thats just recovery insurance, not driving?

No - 45 quid buys me fully comp insurance, any driver which includes the European Breakdown cover...

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  17:20:23  Show Profile
The alternative might be leaving your MMM at the roadside while you find a tow or trailer. I remember doing this with a PA's broken half-shaft, but that was back in the 'sixties. Today's metal thieves might not respect the make or age.

The advice about pointing out that your car is narrow-tracked is very sound.

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  18:02:55  Show Profile
I have had to call the AA out for my modern car on a couple of occasions as well as for the L2, when there was a slight electrical problem, there has never been a query. Their patrol men are always very good and were interested in recovering such an unusual car. In fact the patrol man stopped briefly to speak to a colleague who was going down the lane in the opposite direction with an MGA!!

I could not have had a tow with either car, the Audi being a Quattro and the L2 has an ENV75.

George

Edited by - George Eagle on 02/12/2011 18:04:55
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  19:45:22  Show Profile
I have always had super service with Ecclesiastical Insurance through Peter Best, never a quible, and always a flatbed. Super.

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

David R

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  20:38:10  Show Profile
My J2 and my Austin 7 are insured on a joint policy which includes recovery,and I had to have the Austin recovered recently as a result of a fuel pump problem. I can't recall the insurers offhand,but the brokers are Footman James. I used to have a Frogeye Sprite and then a TR3A also insured on the policy,and both cars went on the Continent and the policy certainly included their recovery with a special phone number provided (but happily unnecessary).

Some years ago I had the Austin 7 recovered by the AA when the crankshaft broke(as they often do) and the helful patrolman expressed great interest in the car and enquired whether it could be hired for his forthcoming wedding!

David
(J 3355)
Go to Top of Page

graham4233

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  21:44:55  Show Profile
My NA broke a half shaft last summer so I called the AA using my everyday membership. They were most helpful and after listening to my plight sent a flatbed for recovery. This year I took the car, plus new half shafts, to Le Mans 24 Hr and the AA covered the car for continental recovery for a small fee, happily not required.
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  23:50:20  Show Profile
All this is most reassuring. I hope that next year, while I hope I don't actually need their services, I will be puting the AA at risk. Many thanks for all the replies.
David R, it looks as though a call to Footman James may be a good idea as I approach roadworthiness. Thank you.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2011 :  10:20:37  Show Profile
My experience with Ecclesiastical is similar to Mike Dalby's. My PA ran a main bearing during the Luxembourg rally of 2004. One evening phone call and a truck & trailer turned up for the car the next morning, followed by a smart new Mercedes taxi for my wife and me. I thought that the taxi would take us to the nearest station, but in fact took us all the way from Clervaux to Brugges, where we had already pre-booked overnight accommodation. We were left at the hotel, and the PA was parked safely overnight. The next morning we were collected by another truck & trailer, and this time we sat in the cab for the short trip to Zeebrugge and the ferry to Rosyth. As the engine still had some oil pressure, I drove it from the ferry car park on to the ferry, and off again at the other end the next morning in Rosyth, where another flatbed truck was waiting to collect us and take us straight home.

Throughout the entire process a named individual phoned me on my mobile every hour or two, initially to tell us what had been arranged and when it would be happening, and then to ask if all was going according to plan. I have never felt so well looked after in all my life, and was able to relax and enjoy an easy trip home. I believe it was Britannia who actually provided the service, but Pete Best could confirm this. In any case it was included in the price of the car insurance. At each stage they made sure that the timing suited us and our holiday plans. Frankly, it turned out to be the highlight of the trip!

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2011 :  18:52:32  Show Profile
I must say Colin that sounds great! Peebles to East Sussex here I come, hopefully though on 3ft 6ins track wheels!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  10:29:46  Show Profile
Dave, I'm about to post more details of the Triple M Border Reivers' Raid here, but FYI we are planning to have an experienced Triple M mechanic plus a load of suitable spares on call, with a suitable trailer to get you back to the hotel base if necessary. This means that you can at least stay around the tour until then end before calling out the breakdown get-you-home service. Of course, none of this will be necessary because you will have done such a good job of bolting it all together ;-).

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000