Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Model Engineering
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2011 :  02:02:14  Show Profile
Listers,

Apologies, it's not M.G. but take time to see this model V12 engine.
Dedication, and it's in the palm of his hand.

Brilliant!

I'm disappointed that I didn't hear this music while I was rebuilding the PA's engine.

http://www.wimp.com/tiniestengine/

Brian.

Edited by - Brian Kelly on 28/11/2011 02:06:09

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2011 :  11:14:46  Show Profile
Amazing engineering in miniature!!!

George
Go to Top of Page

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2011 :  12:26:47  Show Profile
An amazing feat of model engineering but I was puzzled when the timing gears went on and the camshafts were driven at engine speed. All was revealed however later on.

Maurice Blakey.
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2011 :  14:40:01  Show Profile
Brian Fantastic video. Makes our engines look like monsters !!.
Go to Top of Page

PaulusPotter

Netherlands
202 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2011 :  15:39:37  Show Profile
Brian,

Thanks for this link. Nice engineering and great result.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2011 :  09:38:47  Show Profile
I saw some of the construction of the multi-prize-winning Barry Hares R-R Merlin XX miniature model in the late 'seventies. Easily found on Google, it has one very significant difference.

No doubt someone more competent than I am can do the link.

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2011 :  10:13:59  Show Profile
There's all sorts to wet your appetite from here. I'm sure Bob Clare is working on something similar in his retirement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xe1LL1IC7Y
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2011 :  16:19:07  Show Profile
Brian,
Yes very nice but it is running on compress air. About 10 years ago I went to model Engineers exhibition in London when a guy made a V16 Ferrari which was started and ran on petrol and had a full working gearbox instruments the Full works. Terry A
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2011 :  22:34:02  Show Profile
Some years ago there was a full working model (half or quarter size?) of an Austin Seven at a Silverstone Vintage competition meeting.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Clare

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2011 :  00:28:20  Show Profile
Well thanks for the plug Robin but I'm not working on anything so modern in design!! My current project is the rebuilding of a 4-6-2 A1 Pacific locomotive in 3½” gauge. The design was just about the N Type of the coal fired express locomotives I suppose but certainly not the Merlin or V12 equivalent. Unfortunately steam power was abandoned long before that stage of development was reached. This is how the engine looked when I began (and before I blew the original boiler!!)

This is what it hopefully will look like sometime next year.

Re-bushing the Bishop-Cam box in the Cresta will, however, interrupt the rebuild, thus proving that Triple-MMMing still takes precedence!

Cheers.
Bob Clare
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  07:42:29  Show Profile
Quite right too Bob I say!
Regards David
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  10:14:46  Show Profile
Maurice - you set me thinking on that. I'm not sure, but is it because it runs on compressed air, and therefore a two-stroke cycle?

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Pat B

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  11:43:51  Show Profile
Fantastic video Brian.

Obviously a retired chappy with too much time on his hands when his wife left him for a younger man.....No doubt a recluse with no social life, no family, probably displays worrying levels of sychotic behaviour when alone in his workshop......but that's what makes us engineers so 'special' !!

Pat.
Go to Top of Page

Anders Dahlberg

Sweden
64 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  21:15:31  Show Profile
Hi all,

I believe that many of us has an interest in both interesting old cars and masterpieces from the hands of these modelbuilders.

I have shown some of the work my father has done on the TA Special "Q", when asking for help when there have been questions of what to do.

I don't think that I have shown any from his modelling. We have been in England six times visiting Model Exhibitions showing cars and engines like the ones on the following photos:

[

br]

The modelcar is a Mercer Raceabout from 1910 made in 40% scale, the radial engine is a Wright J5 a model of the engine in Charles Lindbergh's Spirit of St Louis that once crossed the Atlantic made in 1/4 scale and the last one is a supercharged V8 1/4 scale and wheighs around 25 kilos.

If you are interested to see more the following links could be usful:

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/dahlberg.htm

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/memuseum4.htm

http://home.swipnet.se/mercer/

Best regards from Sweden

Anders & my father Ingvar

Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  09:53:11  Show Profile
Hi Anders

Thanks for sharing with us the photos of your father's models, he is a very skilled engineer! Did he win any prizes when exhibiting his super models here in the UK? I have seen the car.

I have 2 friends who are very interested in both their MGs and in making steam models. Now that I have 2 rebuilt Triple-M cars on the road I am wondering what project I should undertake - maybe a one third scale traction engine. Certainly Triple-M projects are hard to find and the money asked is often unrealistic as witness a current advert for an original PA requiring a total rebuild.

Regards

George

Edited by - George Eagle on 02/12/2011 09:55:07
Go to Top of Page

leckstein

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  12:46:40  Show Profile
Hello Anders, wonderful pictures. New Jersey, where I live used to be wonderful manufacturing state. The Mercer was built in Trenton NJ by the Roebling Family who were best known for building the Brooklyn Bridge. The Wright engine was built in Paterson NJ, where I was born . During WW2 my father worked at Wright's building B17 engines. Again thanks for the pictures.

Mike L
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000