Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Update Historic Photos
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chris Bucknell

Australia
107 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2011 :  00:08:44  Show Profile
To All,

I seek your assistance in filling some gaps in the history of our cars. I would like to propose that each of us take the time to review the historic photos of each model shown on the register website and fill the gaps of unknown information (sorry Nick in advance for the extra work this is going to cause you). I am confident we can all contribute a bit to the discussion. For instance I know next to nothing about Q-Types but taking a look at that section I observe:

QA???? - is likely to be one of only two Q-Types in Australia (256 and 257). Given this photo was taken at Rob Roy I would guess Matthew Magilton would be able to ID which Q-TYpe it was and who was driving.

QA0252 (2nd photo) - yep certainly looks like Brighton Speed. I think post war. 1947 had Dryden entered in Q-Type. Unfortunately no model designations in the 1946 Brighton event so can't tell what MG's were Q's. But got the following people G V Coles, D Phillips, R Hodgson, R Salvadori entered in Racing MG's under 850cc. Any other thoughts??

Other photos need event names as well as "Brooklands" location for Doreen's Q. Also suggest photo of QA0258 indentifies which car is 258 and if possible what the other car is.

To all a happy new year year.

Chris

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2011 :  16:42:32  Show Profile
Hello Chris - a Happy New Year to you and all of our readers in Oz.

If the Rob Roy photo is definitely 1950, the car is QA0256, the driver Otto Stone and the date of the event 13th March 1950. The car was actually owned by Stan Jones (Alan's Dad) who bought it from Peter Vennermark in October 1949 and Otto helped him with the preparation of the car. Stan entered the car in the later Rob Roy meeting of 23rd September 1950 but he did not actually run. Peter Vennermark drove the car in the 1949 event, and recorded a blistering 32.09 seconds to set a new Class Record. Thanks go to Tim Jackson for this information.

So far as the Brighton Speed Trials are concerned, nineteen M.G.s were entered in 1946 which included no Q Types at all. 1947 saw a great improvement with thirty-eight M.G.s entered, of which three were Qs - QA0251 of David Murray which actually non-started, QA0254 of Jim Lafone which also non-started and QA0254 of R M (Curly) Dryden which put up the fastest M.G. run with an average speed from a standing start of 67.31 m.p.h. Next best was R W G Collins in the Monte Carlo NA with a speed of 60.25 m.p.h.

In 1948, thirty M.G.s were entered of which two were Qs, - QA0251 for David Murray which again non-started, and QA0258 which by then was owned by Eric Brandon and he was timed at 34.92 seconds which gave him 3rd place in the 750cc Racing Class. Without checking the files, I would guess that the brand new Cooper's were showing their pace by then.

In 1949, thirty-one M.G.s were entered and the only Q was QA0252 for A L J M Toulmin (of Toulmin Motors fame) who was timed at a fairly unimpressive 41.20 seconds. In 1950, the year at which the archive photograph was taken, there was an M.G. entry of thirty-two cars which included three Q Types, - QA0252 for A L J M Toulmin which is believed to have turned up but did not record any times. and Toulmin also entered QA0255 which was clocked at an even less impressive time of 44.80 - the slowest M.G. time of the day. His poor showing led to a few barbed commnts being made in the "Motor Sport" report of the event. Fortunately, Q Type honours were upheld by Jim Lafone with QA0254 which did a quite presentable 35.80 seconds.

More yawn inducing trivia from Colin B. !
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000