Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 P Type, routing of rear wiring harness
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Oz34

United Kingdom
2539 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2012 :  09:18:33  Show Profile
A while ago there was discussion as to whether the rear harness crossed over along the brake cross shaft.

Looking at the well known plan view photo of a rolling chassis for other reasons, I've just noticed a bundle of wiring strapped to the rear trunnion cross tube & quite clearly coming from the N/S chassis rail;

Any comments?

Dave

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2012 :  10:09:32  Show Profile
When I first bought my PA it had been laid up since the 60s in the hands of the family that had owned it since 1937. When we stripped the body off for its first (and last, I hope) rebuild, the wiring loom crossed from N/S to O/S via the brake cross shaft IIRC, and that's the way we rewired it.

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

ags

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  00:54:54  Show Profile
Hi Dave,

There is also one other oddity about that photograph in that the battery seems to have the positive and negative leads crossing one another. This is not usually necessary and may indicate that the wiring on this car did run down the other side of the chassis or that the terminals on the battery are the opposite hand to the one commonly used today. I had noticed this earlier but it is nicely emphasised in your section of the photograph. I think that I would put these things down to differences between the prototype and later cars.

I do agree with Colin that when I rewired my car in about 1970 the layout was as he described and the tracks were quite clear from the numerous alloy strip wiring clips used to attach the loom to cross members. I confess that, knowing no better, I binned most of those, thinking that they could not possibly be anything but replacements. Today I know from the Parts List that the electrical equipment did include 20 of part no S2/12 "Binding Clip (6 1/4" long)" which is a very reasonable description of the parts which I discarded.

More technical ramblings from

Andrew Smith MMM571
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2539 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  19:55:20  Show Profile
Thank you both. Yes Andrew, when Colin was so definite I did begin to think "prototype". A number of the well known photos do seem to be so and perhaps they realised as the brake light wires had to cross there & rear lamp had to cross somewhere, they might as well both go at the same point.
I think Andrew I have one of the "binding clips" & also didn't think it belonged. Perhaps I'd better look it out as a pattern.

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

ags

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  21:17:10  Show Profile
Hi Dave,

I also probably still have one or more of the clips around somewhere. A fuller description is a soft alloy strip about 3/16" - 1/4" wide, very fine gauge 22 swg or so, in the shape of an elongated "T" with two heads each about 5/16" long and about an inch or so apart. The heads are both slotted such that the tail of the "T" can be slipped through the head. In use the tail is wrapped around the loom and passed through the t-head nearest to the free end and the strip tightened around the loom. The tail can then be passed around a tubular cross member and back through the free head, finally being tightly bent back on itself to secure everything. In total a slightly better (in that the loom is secured clear of the cross member) version of today's nylon cable ties - which is what I used to replace them in all the hidden places.

I did not think that they could be correct as at that time I could still have obtained the alloy type from my kindly Works storekeeper.

Another Sparks' tool from the same era that I find invaluable is a large three-legged Hellerman tool. Originally used for expanding genuine rubber wiring sleeves (pre-shrink-wrap) it is also ideal for enlarging the protective gaiters over the clevis ends of brake cables. It has saved hours of fiddling with bits of wood or shaping funnel type objects. As in all the best occupations the best payment is not money but what you can see a use for and then "borrow"!

More technical ramblings from

Andrew Smith MMM571
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  21:26:46  Show Profile
Buckle clips are obtainable from AES:
http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/330/category/65

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2539 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  23:42:05  Show Profile
What a superb description of method Andrew! Location noted Peter; thanks.

Dave
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000