Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 P Type Door Check Straps
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  08:55:57  Show Profile
Gentleman
I am looking for an original pattern for the door check straps, its length and its position.

I would appreciate it if someone could post a photo of the original P type pattern and also the fittings, should they be screws with cup washers or metal plates countersunk for the screws.

I have seen aftermarket leather check straps fitted that are in my opinion unsuitable.

Bearing in mind the lack of timber at the bottom of the B post I would like to know how far up from the bottom of the door the check strap was originally fitted.

Such a mundane enquiry however I have no old doors to use as patterns etc so would appreciate some clues.

Russ

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  09:30:22  Show Profile
Russ
Does this help? I copied exactly the (threadbare) straps that came off my unmolested PA. I think the idea is to ensure that the strap is doubled back on itself as these pics should show.

Best wishes
Dick
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  10:25:39  Show Profile
My straps are seemingly identical and the distance from the sill-plate to the strap bottom is 3" in real money.

The trick is to keep the door from flying back. The compulsory accessory on PA BEV 307 in the 'sixties was a small bathroom door-bolt to stop the door opening itself when the well-worn car went over bumps.

Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  15:58:42  Show Profile

Thanks Bob and Dick just what I need, how long are your check straps?

I will make my mine too long at first, however it would be great to know what length you settled for.

Thanks once again

Russ
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  17:18:24  Show Profile
Hello Russ

5.125 " x 2"

Best wishes
Dick
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  10:18:50  Show Profile
Thanks Dick

As usual, ready with good advice.

Russ
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  17:11:01  Show Profile
7" x 2 1/2" - yet another difference. Mine are also screwed to the inner face of the door pillar with the usual domed/csk chrome screws with upholstery washers and allow the door to open to just under 90 degrees.

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  09:41:51  Show Profile

Thanks Bob for your input, now that I know the basics I can make up a "Dummy" strap and experiment.

Thanks again

Russ
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000