Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 This will drive you up the wall
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2012 :  13:55:49  Show Profile
I just had to share this. Our next door neighbour has a terraced garden. She went out to defrost the car a couple of mornings ago, and reached in through the car door to start the engine. Unfortunately her husband had left the car in reverse. Her son has helpfully provided this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-DjfNsgfgA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Enjoy

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2012 :  19:05:48  Show Profile
As a valuer, I once went to see a - hopping mad - chap who had had had his concours entrant MGB GT ( yes, I know, not much MMM about it, but it had been a lovely car ) written off by his next door neighbour, who did the same trick across a common drive with a similar high-speed winter manoeuvre by an Astra.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2012 :  23:11:36  Show Profile
We know of a horror story of similar type.

A friend (1) who had broken her ankle was being ferried to and fro by another friend (2). For reasons too complicated to explain here, friend 1 reached inside the car via the open door to start the engine, not realising that friend 2 had left the car in reverse gear and with the handbrake off.

Car started back, the door knocked her over onto the ground and the front wheel went partially over her head. She lost teeth, suffered a broken jaw, huge facial damage, but miraculously her skull wasn't broken. She was air ambulanced out and so far has made a pretty astounding recovery.

See http://www.henleystandard.co.uk/news/news.php?id=954676

The moral of the story is - well, you know what it is!

Regards
Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

etlanpa

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2012 :  09:44:54  Show Profile
Although it drives me nuts, I can now see the value of having to depress the clutch pedal for the engine to start in my wife's Yaris
Go to Top of Page

Gideon

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2012 :  12:45:26  Show Profile
I hate to nit-pick....but it looks more alike it was left in first, second or third gear...than in reverse ;-)

Gideon
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2012 :  22:13:25  Show Profile
It must have come backwards down the wall. No tyre indents through the grass.
Knowing my old Golf, it wouldn't surprise me if it's not perfectly OK!
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  10:13:16  Show Profile
Yes, terraced garden with drive above and garden below - leading down to the mill stream, but fortunately didn't get that far.

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  10:50:22  Show Profile
I wonder by what means they were able to recover the car?

Regards
Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Simon

United Kingdom
448 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  17:29:44  Show Profile
I once had a narrow escape with a Riley 9 with preselector and centrifugal clutch. Wanted to start engine on handle, set selector to neutral (can't remember if I depressed pedal) but there was a lot of slack on the lever linkage, set hand throttle and engine started BUT it was in gear. By a miracle it was in reverse or I would have been flattened against the wall. As it was the car demolished neighbours Laburnam and gate post!!
Simon.
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  18:04:58  Show Profile
Just to respond to Simon's post...
If the J2 has a starter dog, did you lift the front valance to start them?
My Magnette (ZB!) had the cut out in the bumper to feed the handle in.
Go to Top of Page

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  21:17:44  Show Profile
I had a similar experience to Simon with a Riley Falcon. It was in the garage and I finished up back to the end wall pushing on the radiator calling my dad to come and switch it off. Fortunately he heard me and came to the rescue before it warmed up and pushed even harder.

Maurice Blakey.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000