Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG Special, Macau GP 1954
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fivestar

Philippines
33 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2012 :  00:07:11  Show Profile
Attached is a photo of F. de Macedo Pinto's MG Special which was entered in the inaugural Macau Grand prix in 1954 and placed 4th

Looking at the dashboard it would appear to be based on an MMM Register type car.
Has anyone ever hear of this car.
There was a PA in HongKong in the 60s to 90s PA1613, which had been rebodied with a TC body. Could this be it.

rgds - Michael

Chris Bucknell

Australia
107 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  21:56:26  Show Profile
Hi Michael,

Well not so much comment on this one so far so I will try and push it alone a bit. Based on the front on photo I notice the small brakes so probably hydraulic. Bonnet looks longer and flatter than on a P. Track looks wider.

Rear photo show fuel filler on left hand side like T's.

Maybe not MMM but T'type at this macro level but who knows what chassis it could be?

Chris

I know nothing about T-types so need someone who knows a bit more out there.
Go to Top of Page

fivestar

Philippines
33 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  07:19:09  Show Profile
Chris,
The reason I was thinking MMM type was due to the dashboard layout. T types were much "simpler".

I have come across another reference which says "Le Mans MG Special"

Michael
Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  09:56:24  Show Profile
Hi there:

PA 1613 was exported new to Penang, but I never saw any of the Morris Industries Export Co (who handled export cars for the Morris/Wolseley/MG Group) records, which, I was told were destroyed during the war. So we do know for certain who had the car, but it was a standard green (Dublin and Ulster) four seater when it left the Factory.

According to the Register (2011 edition) it is now in France, with a TC body fitted, which begs the question of how it got there!

The dash in the picture is more MMM than T-type, the latter body is much wider. The radiator looks T. The fuel tank doesn't look MG at all... the filler necks are all on the offside, that in the picture is nearside. The mudgaurds look like J.

Can our members in the former Malay Straits help?

Best wishes,

Mike
Go to Top of Page

fivestar

Philippines
33 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  10:52:34  Show Profile
Here's a photo of the start. I tried to do a scale up on the basis the front wheels are 19" rim and I get a wheelbase in the mid 80s", which would indicate a J or P type.
I am trying to see if I can track down a photo of the engine compartment.
The original front on photo would indicate that the radiator grill is mesh and not stripes.
Michael

Go to Top of Page

fivestar

Philippines
33 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  10:59:50  Show Profile
Regarding PA1613, I first came across it in the early 1970s when I was owned ny a Gurkha officer who had been stationed in Malaysia. It was at some stage left derelict and the last I knew of it was when it belonged to a chap who worked with K.line.
I will try and check with some K.line contacts the whereabouts of the last owner I knew and see if I can gleam anything further. One has to asume it went from Hong Kong to France.
Go to Top of Page

Ken Hall

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  18:58:02  Show Profile
Many years ago a colleague of mine called Bob Sutton told me that he was a State Highway Engineer in Malaya in 1934/5 until WW2.His mode of transport was an MG P type although he had no recollection as to the chassis number. He would recount how when delivering the wages to the employees on a Friday he would use the P type and scare the wages clerk witless! Just a coincidence? Maybe, but I guess we will never know.
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1722 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  19:43:32  Show Profile
Right.

There is a picture of a P Type with a T type body and a Y type radiator surround and reg no BA1561 (which could be local) in the Malaysian and Singapore Vintage Car Register dated June 1971 which just happens to be on my shelf. The caption tells us that it belonged to one Phil Phillips and was lamenting the fact that he was taking it to Hong Kong... cycle front wings and silly little headlamps which look to be set a little higher than the ones in the second photo of what might be it racing.

This was at the time when Mike Hawke found his K3 and the story then was that valuable and attractive cars were dismantled and buried to keep them from the invading Japanese, bodies would not survive and perhaps not radiator surrounds either, so that may be why this little girl has postwar bits...

Ok Hercule, over to you...

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

fivestar

Philippines
33 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  00:34:19  Show Profile
Here is a photo of PA1613 taken at Sek Kong Gurkha Camp in 1971.
I have some others but currently cannot find them.
rgds - Michael

Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  12:03:02  Show Profile
Rather off topic & even MG, but behind the car in question in the start pic appears to be a very rare Riley 2 1/2 drophead; even rarer than the RMC Roadster.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  20:55:35  Show Profile
I have just returned from a break in darkest Cornwall... The P Type that belonged to Phil Phillips was for a while in 1971 with Dad, being prepped for that years Singapore GP. I've just tried to upload a decent photo, but the files too big (more than 5Mb). I'll try & reduce it, then retry...

JH
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  21:21:32  Show Profile
Easier than I thought....

Not your std P Type Body & Rad?

JH
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  21:27:49  Show Profile
& another: Fine young men all!

Go to Top of Page

fivestar

Philippines
33 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  22:14:39  Show Profile
That certainly looks to be the same body as in my photo, based on the rear wings/wheel inset.
Looks far better with the cycle front wings than the truncated swept wings.
Still tracking the K.line chap who owned the car in Hong Kong.
Was Phil Philips in the army? The name sounds familiar.
Michael
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2012 :  18:26:17  Show Profile
Michael,
Yes, he was in the army (Ghurkas). He brought the car back to the UK with him & used to attend some MGCC events. Phil died several years back.

JH
Go to Top of Page

fivestar

Philippines
33 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2012 :  23:32:17  Show Profile
Thanks Jeremy,
Do you know when Phil brought the car back to the UK?, as I was under the impression the car was still in Hong Kong in the 1990s.

rgds - Michael
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000