Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 How do I access old Infoletters ?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  21:08:46  Show Profile

Is there any way to search the 'For Sale' ads in old Infoletters? I know good work has been done on indexing but access seems to be very limited.

The particular ad I hope to find was placed in 1989 (or there about) by a seller in Ryde on the Isle of Wight.

Sam

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  11:18:16  Show Profile
Hello Sam,

Fortuitously my collection of infoletters is currently down from the loft and I had a quick look through them for the 1987-1990 period, but unfortunately could not find any advertisement or mention in the 'For Sale or Wants' involving Ryde,IOW. I searched in a bunch of them from Nos. 95 - 102

Maybe the one you were trying to track down came from a different time period?

As an aside,Infoletters up to No. 40 (October 1976) are now on the document downloads section of this website. They don't appear to be searchable however. Might this be because they have been scanned at a lowish resolution to keep the file size down to manageable proportions? Perhaps this is something on which Nick might be able to comment?

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743 WV 5012
Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK

Edited by - DickMorbey on 12/02/2012 11:19:14
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  12:57:00  Show Profile
I have had a close look at the infolettres in the document download section and the documents are not protected in a way that would prevent word searching, I suspect that it has something to do with the fact that they were scanned from typewriter (or stencil) originals and maybe Acrobat just can't read them. Is there anyone out there who knows better? Would re-scanning them make them more readable?
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  17:09:52  Show Profile
Thanks Dick.Is there any hope in the 1991 Infoletters? The most likely time of year was spring.

Nick I agree searchable records would be a really great asset.Another bonus would be a file containing all images contributed to the forum.

This is an aside but when my Flickr account reaches a level where I become liable for charges I (like many others I suspect) feel obliged to delete the oldest images which are then lost from the Forum archives.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  20:45:21  Show Profile
Sam
Why not transfer your pictures from your flikr account to this site?
I guess if someone was willing to print the Infoletteres and OCR or re-type them they would then become word searchable.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3242 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  20:48:02  Show Profile
Nick,
First, there was A LOT of work in scanning the Infoletters. Second, rescanning would not improve the quality of the originals. I scanned them at 150 DPI which is generally a good enough quality to allow searching IF the originals were of good quality, which they are most definately not. Even the originals were hard to read. So I'm afraid printing them out and visually scanning them is the best we can do.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2012 :  23:23:20  Show Profile
Hello Sam

I haven't forgotten your request but I'm away for a couple of days and will see what I can find when I'm back.

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743 WV 5012
Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000