Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Events | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MMM MG Works Personnel.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2012 :  12:55:15  Show Profile
Mike Allison's mention of John Thornley in another thread recalls that the Works record for PA 603 / APP 186 contains numerous letters from John Thornley to J.E. Rushbrooke, the first owner - but, alas, not the incoming letters.

Most of us know of John Thornley's role at the factory.

Other MG staff 'names' in the car's record remain only names to me, even after quite a few years with MMM cars.

In particular, an R.A. Macfadyen, Asst. Service Manager, who writes often, a J.S. Campbell, described as a 'key man', a Mr. Parker of the Spares Dept., 'JD' and 'GL' who did the typing, C.D. Graves-Morris (Service), 'G.P.' on superchargers ( who also dealt with Marshall Drew ) and M. Higgins.

Can anyone provide more details on any of these, or, indeed, on any other people who worked on the MMM cars? From my professional research into old vehicles, I realise that even the 'people who knew the people' are beginning to drop off their perches, and that this information would be better known to us than lost.

Thanks to all who are able to help. Bob CC.

LewPalmer

USA
3269 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2012 :  13:51:31  Show Profile
Bob, You probably want to seek out a copy of the book "Behind the Octagon" by Brian Moylan. It contains a short bio on many of the personalities at MG, particularly pre-war.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2012 :  17:05:01  Show Profile
Thanks, Lew. I am seeking a copy out. But not on Amazon at £70 +............

Is the book the only information available?
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2012 :  10:11:20  Show Profile
Bob - GP is probably George Propert
Marshall Drew, Marshall Godfrey, Marshall Nordec were all one and the same (to all intents) company - they are still in business based on the south coast making vacuum generators.

My father is probably the one to talk to - he worked at the factory in the late sixties and early seventies and there is an article in this months Safety Fast.
Dad worked closely with John Thornley, Reg Jackson and Syd Enever - who introduced him to Henry Stone (who became a close freind), Harry Herring (panel beater) and others from the "insomnia crew".

Regards David
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2012 :  12:04:37  Show Profile
Bob, Another book to seek out is "The Insomnia Crew" by Henry Stone. You will probably have to pay double the price of Brian Moylan's book however !

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2012 :  20:49:55  Show Profile
Aaagh! You are right. Abebooks list two copies, one at £125 and £184.

Perhaps they will put it on Kindle.

Bob CC.
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3269 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2012 :  21:14:41  Show Profile
Bob,
I had a chance to look through "Behind the Octagon" and sadly most of the names you mentioned are not profiled, with the exception of "GL". In all likelihood, this was Grace Lewis, nee Kendall, who was Cecil Kimber's secretary. There is about 1/2 page devoted to a short bio of her. She was married to "Ugly" Jack Lewis, foreman of the chassis line.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3269 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2012 :  21:18:48  Show Profile
By the way, there is a copy of the book currently on ebay for about GBP 35.00. http://www.ebay.com/itm/MG-STORY-BEHIND-OCTAGON-MOYLAN-BMC-COMPETITION-A-F-/230577356583

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2012 :  10:40:29  Show Profile
Thanks, Lew. I now have 'Behind the Octagon', and it is as you suggest.

The first book 'wot I wrote' was a 40,000 word history of The Sunbeam Motorcycle (this may give my identity away...) back in the late 'seventies. I was able, then, to talk to surviving employees of the factory, which had ceased production in 1937, tape-recording some and including many in the book. That opportunity no longer exists. 'Time like an ever-rolling stream bears all its sons away'.

I have an MG 'library', but no more than the average, I imagine. What my books lack is much biography of the people at the factory, now, as with Sunbeam, no longer obtainable first-hand.

I was hoping, with this thread, to get together what there is and the Moylan book is one source.

If the material is not now noted, it will have been lost forever.

Bob CC.

Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3269 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2012 :  14:10:56  Show Profile
Well, one additional source is Jim Simpson, who is also profiled in the Moylan book. Jim was a 50 year employee. He is still alive and living in Abingdon. I visit him every time I'm in the UK, which isn't often enough. If someone wants to do an oral history interview, contact me for how to reach Jim.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000