Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2 History request
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6106 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  16:45:56  Show Profile
Colin,

The gearbox number, as well as a variety of other numbers such as dynamo, starter and body were recorded on the dispatch card sent from the sales department to the service department. It also records body, trim and wheel colour and the name of the main agent to whom it was delivered and the date of delivery. I have a copy of this card for my car in addition to the ledger page you describe which gives the date the chassis set off down the production line. But perhaps the dispatch card for your car didn't survive.
Go to Top of Page

Colin Morse

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  17:26:43  Show Profile
Thanks for the reply Simon. I also have a copy of a small slip headed:

To: SERVICE DEPARTMENT From: SALES DEPARTMENT

and this lists:

Chassis number
Type and Model
Colour
Delivered to
Date Delivered
Main Agent..................but no further information.

This is a typed slip, unlike the previous ledger which was handwritten in Indian Ink, complete with lots of blots and splodges!!
Colin
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6106 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  17:36:56  Show Profile
Colin,

Here's a picture of the card that was in my chassis file. Perhaps by the time my car, J3437, was built, in July 1933, they had improved their record keeping!

Go to Top of Page

Allan Bentley

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2012 :  11:27:38  Show Profile

Hello,
The chassis stamps look very original to me the plate not. Have you looked for the chassis frame number? This is stamped on the front cross tube between the lugs of the steering box. I would like to know how this compares with the MG issued number on your chassis.
I am investigating an L1 which had its chassis number removed when re registered in Bristol in 1947,after the war. I have its frame number as 173. There are other 'confusing' clues that the car could be L0440.
Thanks in advance
Allan Bentley

quote:
Originally posted by OJAI J2

Thank you Nick, for the wiring info! Greatly appreciated...

I've attached some images of the chassis plate and stamped numbers on the car. It appears that it possibly has a bonnet from another car, so maybe suffered an accident in an earlier life, but I can see no evidence of accident damage to the chassis (maybe lost it's bonnet in storage? etc.) Again, I look forward to any information.

The car was complete and almost running when purchased and has a nice lived in patina.

Photo 1: Chassis Plate
Photo 2: Dumb Iron
Photo 3: Front Transmission
Photo 4: Rear Transmission
Photo 5: Wooden frame member behind dash
Photo 6: Bonnet Hinge

Edited by - Allan Bentley on 22/02/2012 11:38:07
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly