Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 News about the website
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2012 :  23:26:12  Show Profile
As contributors and readers of this discussion forum will know, there has been a considerable amount of discussion recently about the Triple-M Register website. This has included its content and resources and the way in which it inter-relates with the wider community of Triple- M enthusiasts.

A working party of the Register Committee met on Monday and spent four hours reviewing the current situation. I thought that you might like to know the Committee’s current thinking about the website.

Although it may seem an obvious point, the first thing I would like to say is that the Triple-M Register, its website, our various publications, communications etc. which are looked after by unpaid enthusiasts in their spare time, exist for the sole purpose of assisting and supporting Triple-M owners all around the world. That is regardless of whether or not they are a member of the MG Car Club, of which the Triple-M Register is a part.

Our web site is just one means whereby enthusiasts can tap into this support. There are many other means too, such as the Register Library, the opportunity to meet fellow enthusiasts at organised or informal events, etc. However of all these, the website discussion forum is arguably the most useful because it provides instant access to information and opinions. Whilst we may not all agree with some of the technical opinions expressed, it is a small price to pay for having such a vibrant community.

As you can probably imagine, a lot of work is always ongoing in the background to bring about improvements to the way in which the website operates. For example, Nick Feakes, our webmaster, is currently working with other members on a project to develop the way in which graphical, photographic and similar documentary information about various models and their parts could be placed on the website.

The Triple-M Register does not have, and would never expect to have, a monopoly on the web. Of course we recognise that a number of websites have sprung up in recent years to deal with specific model types, or to cater for the Triple-M community outside the UK – for example the NAMMMR in the USA. It is however our aim to make this website (triple-mregister.org) the ‘first port of call’ for all Triple-M enthusiasts worldwide

We aim to open up a dialogue with the other Triple-M orientated websites for the general benefit of all Triple-M enthusiasts.

The initial and primary function of the Triple-M Register when it was formed in 1961 was to maintain the definitive Register of all known overhead camshaft MG’s produced between 1929 and 1936 (Triple-M cars) and that still is our aim today. It’s important that we all keep that objective in mind, because confusion could arise if information were allowed to be scattered between different data repositories.

Every member of this forum will have a role to play in the improvement of this website and the Register database. Initially we would ask you to update your ‘Profile’ on this forum to include the town where you live. There is clearly a desire for this information to be made more widely available so we will be exploring a secure means of introducing a search facility on the website so that owners can get in touch with each other if that is their mutual wish.

We are also considering whether the website can be expanded to include other resources, such as technical and more general information about specific car types.

There are other plans too, one of them is to see whether we could place information from the full Register onto the website in a searchable format but there are technical as well as legal/confidentiality issues involved. Progress in this area will therefore, in part, depend on the co-operation of us all.

I hope that these comments will give you an indication of the work that the Register Committee continues to put in to provide support for all Triple-M enthusiasts.

Finally, there is one thing that you can do now to help the Committee and that is to tell us how you think this website could be improved. Please post your suggestions below.

Peter.

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2012 :  03:40:07  Show Profile
A calendar of events, of interest to MMM owners, but not soley MMM related, where members could "strike out", meet, and fly the MMM flag.
A brace of MMM cars arriving at other Clubs' meets would be welcomed by many.
Through members flagging up events, saying "they will be there" opens up an organic feed of "Getting out there, and doing it" for the Club.

Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3676 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  12:51:53  Show Profile
Hello Gary

As you may have seen, for a few days now the Events page at the front end of this website has carried a fair bit of info about Triple-M related activities. These are largely competition-related events, but if readers of this Forum would care to tell our webmaster of other relevant events that are perhaps more sociable in nature - overseas as well as in the UK - I am sure Nick would be happy to include them as well.

Picking up on Peter's original posting two days ago - so far Gary's is the only response Peter or the Committee have received with suggestions about improvements and developments of this website!

How about it then, everyone else?!

Best wishes
Dick
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  13:34:29  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DickMorbey

Hello Gary

so far Gary's is the only response Peter or the Committee have received with suggestions about improvements and developments of this website!

May be indicative of most people being satisfied with what we already have ?

Edited by - kimber on 27/01/2012 13:35:03
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  13:51:55  Show Profile
i think its really good as it is now, nick and everyone does a great job. i think if anyone wants to look into the models even deeper like gideon with his j register by creating his own website, i think it would be good if he did it via this forum. i dont think its fair by getting nick to improve it, he already does enough he deserves a medal. people like gideon could work along side with nick to improve it as nick does enough already.
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1721 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  14:21:26  Show Profile
I support Greg's comments, I think this is a fantastic site. and Nick Feakes should be knighted!

However I am used to it, familiar with it, at home with it, so I am in a poor position to say how I would like it to be improved. I have had a couple of days to think it over because I have been to Holland and Belgium and met some of the movers out there.

This website hasn't really met my requirements in doing up my J Type. The detail you need is in Geoff Howell's excellent book or in Malcolm Green's tomes and they are unobtainable, (I have lent mine to someone and could I have them back please!).

So to follow the average thought process of a new enthusiast visiting the website... He will see links to the D and F sites and soon to the J site and one would like to find on those sites type specific information, for instance I think only F type people are interested in leaks in cylinder head stud holes and the gasket problems Fs and Wolseleys suffer. Much has been written on all these subjects but I find it difficult to access. If there was a section headed "Mechanicals" with sub sections on brakes or clutches where you would find Barry's excellent articles, these days they could all be available on the site if someone had the time/inclination to upload them. Knowing they are in such and such a yearbook helps but it could be better than that. What I don't know is whether there are "royalties" involved, whether we would have to pay the authors if their information was put up here. Then there are the disagreements. My original J differed in detail here and there from what appeared in Geof Howell's book and it would be nice to be able to air such things.

So I would applaud anyone who would do the work of pulling together all the "Type" information in the way that Ian Ross has done and if only we could supplement his efforts with better technical data that would be ideal. There is so much on the NAMMMR site and on Jos Schreuders site too but his doesn't seem to be linked to this one.

The other thing is helping newcomers. I know it is a long time ago that I went to sea but when a new sailor arrived on board you found an experienced one who would look after him for his first few weeks, a "sea daddy"... We could provide sea daddies to new members if we knew where we all lived, so adding towns to our profiles would be a big step forward as in this game you would ideally want someone close at hand.

So, yes, it can be better and hopefully there are lots of people who can give a bit of time to help, sadly not me, a bit of a philistine actually when it comes to computers, and I have my embryo Stiles project to nurture and I still need that fns back plate, come on Terry, have you looked yet???

with much gratitude to those who do the work and possibly to Terry...

Cheers

Peter

Edited by - PeterL on 27/01/2012 14:31:18
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  17:22:47  Show Profile
I think that Andrew is probably correct in his view that most users of this site are very happy with what we have. And very grateful to those members who run the Triple-M register and the website. There will always be room for improvement and indeed changes are constantly being made.

Specifically:
I agree that there will be other sites on either a geographic or model basis; hopefully with a link to them from this site and vice versa, as with the F Magna, D type, North American and Australian sites. (Where is the link for the Dutch site?) I do believe however that the Register of Triple-M cars should be held and maintained in one place. I do not think that splitting it on a model by model basis would be a good idea.

The ability to find and contact other members who live in your locality would be helpful, especially for new members.

Information. There is much information available on the web today and there is a lot more which is not on the web. Procuring and organising such information is a huge task. And how do you sort the genuine from the guesswork and outright errors? I find the Triple-M and VSCC forums to be the best sources of information as most often raising a question produces a debate which teases out the most likely correct answer. And over time you get to know who the real experts are.

In Summary I am more than happy with what we have but would like to see it continue to develop as time allows.

Peter

Peter
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  19:40:44  Show Profile
I agree with Nick's knighthood and the tweaking comments made.
Yes, It is a brilliant site, and for those knowledgable and "sorted" by time, money and contacts, a great backdrop to MMM ownership.

I have, however, suggested nothing NEW - Other than that, that has been mentioned to me!

I've been secretary to a one marque club. A small one. Different strokes for different folks. For some, to turn up is being proactive.
I do find the Club sits at a point in time, where gentlemen who were young when these cars were still Hot Stuff... are now well into retirement.
I was speaking to a gentleman, two days ago. Owner of three MMMs. One a 1932, the year of his birth.
He came from a time where working on our cars was common knowledge. As the cars aged, core bits of information came out to best tend to "what you had."

I think, to slowly build a pictorial data folio of each model. Would be an obvious first point of reference to those new to the cars.
Why have I received so many e mails from around the world J2 related?
Because I put forward a thread of logic that many others have had.
Why do I get embarrassed owners saying they won't be out and about for ages. Many MMM members have a long term build. To know others, relative to where you live, is a boon.
There was a day, when this website was new. The MMM Registry new. I'm not dictating mass upheavel. Only logical evolution. A picture base of the "workings" of our Motor Car. As each model is (to some extent) a clone of the one before.

I am dealing with my particular J2.
It is incomplete. My posts reflect my learning curve. My car gives ME the questions.
I don't want to buy any more half wrecked parts.
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2012 :  11:11:42  Show Profile
I am happy with the site as it is! Admittedly my prewars are restored but maybe I can help others? Having owned and been associated with old MG's for over 50 years I am still learning (and keen to do so!).
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2012 :  12:09:18  Show Profile
The problem is there are a few people who want to make there own websites on specific models like the j register. I can't see why we can't invite them to do so on our website by having a j section. It will make our website better and stop other websites which the committee don't like. If you can't beat them join them.
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2012 :  18:39:39  Show Profile
Google

Matt Olsen's Blog.

Restoration of a Harley Davidson.

Lovely, clear and stylish layout. I can make Our's Brown and cream if you wish.

This could be a template for a series of photo restoration or service guides.

Click on a photo, it becomes full page.

Supplement it with fastener sizes, if you're going to renew. spanner sizes and tools to have to hand.

Publish a comprehensive list of maintenance, or rebuild jobs.
A member contacts the Club when they are about to embark on a particular job.

They are e mailed a job sheet, that details pictures required, step by step.
Lit by a couple of bulbs, anything to eradicate shadow.
Photograph with an owned or borrowed digital camera.
These JPEG files sent to Club.

I'm willing to take this project on board, and digitally colour balance or enhance what we get.
I can also produce artwork to back up the text.

I'd have to thrash it out with Nick, but I'm happy to run the section, if it's explained how we do it.

It could do with a Technical team to outline unique steps or details.

Each job could have it's tool and size, thread log.
Significant Findings.
Areas of damage or vunerability to time and the elements. (for instance, single rear J2 wing stays trapping water and rusting)
Fuse boxes melting..!
Every car has it's Achilles heel.

Engine gearbox and diff could be bench documented.
Go to Top of Page

David R

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2012 :  21:21:47  Show Profile
One thing I would find useful,and it has been mentioned by others,is a facility to find other MMM owners in the area. I appreciate that the user profile can show a town etc.,but short of going through every name I can see no way of compiling a comprehensive local list,and then each person would have to be emailed separately.

Here in the north-east (Northumberland,Tyne and Wear and Durham) we have identified some 15 MMM owners,and new ones are still appearing regularly, but this has only been achieved over several years and generally through local clubs,attendance at shows and word of mouth. Very few owners appear to be MGCC members,although most of the cars are on the Register and therefore their owners' details are presumably known. All but 2 or 3 cars are off the road and have been for many years,but there are several that are now undergoing active restoration and there is an interchange of information,inspection of running cars,loaning of parts etc. which hopefully is speeding up the process and providing a degree of mutual support.

I am also a member of the Pre-War Austin 7 Club (being the owner of a 1933 RP Box Saloon) and that Club has available a list of members' addresses,phone numbers etc. which can be made available by county or in other useful formats. The local North-East Club for vintage and classic cars also makes available members' towns and phone numbers. I understand the VSCC also publishes members'details.

If the MMM Register were able to make available a list of users,clearly the detail of information given would be at the discretion of individuals,but I suspect most people would be happy to be listed with their cars in a format that would allow others in the area to identify and contact them.

David R

J 3355
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
990 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  10:10:52  Show Profile
"If the MMM Register were able to make available a list of users,clearly the detail of information given would be at the discretion of individuals,but I suspect most people would be happy to be listed with their cars in a format that would allow others in the area to identify and contact them."

I agree. Another way would be to list email addresses by region, subject to members' agreement.

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2527 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  10:25:43  Show Profile
I must say I'm in agreement with those who are very satisfied with what we have, "if it ain't broke....".
Picking up though on David R's comments on finding neighbours with similar cars yes, even if we all list our local town, it would be a bit time consuming to go through the list looking. I'm a complete ludite with computers however, there may be available a simple programme to do as so many nationwide firms do; "insert your postcode to find your nearest branch"? It could be simplified by having a standard radius, say 50 miles.
As a simpler alternative, Nick, were we all to add town & model to our profiles, would it be possible to arrange this info to come up against each post with our user names? e.g; "Oz 34, Lewes, P Type". Interested members could then email through the site as now. Perhaps county, or state may be a more useful classification?
Another possibility; the ability to sort member names by county/state or by model?
In the meantime, Nick gets my vote as well.

Cheers,

Dave

Having just read Colin's post after writing mine, accepting "owner's permission", I for one would not want my address on a publicly accessible web site however, with my suggestions above I feel It would be a simple matter for me to mail, through the site, anyone in Sussex of Kent & if they & I wish then to go further with full exchange, there is no problem.

Edited by - Oz34 on 31/01/2012 10:31:48
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3366 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  13:00:23  Show Profile
I apologise for highjacking Peter's thread but this is probably something to which I should respond.
It is perfectly possible to include your location and car type to every post by simply adding that information as your 'signature' on your profile. I see two immediate downsides to that:
1. It doesn't make it easier to 'search' for members in your area (although if someone posts you will know if they are near)
2. That information then becomes public (non members can view these forums).

I would like to offer the following, click on 'members' at the top right of the forum page, then click on 'City' (the title of the column at the top). This sorts the member list by city. You will notice at the moment the first twenty or so pages have the word 'Error' in the city name, this is because that field is blank in their profile. Go to page 25 (or later) to see how this could work.

BIG QUESTION - If every member's profile was updated to show their city name, would this be a satisfactory solution?

Advantages - you must be registered to see the list of members (so a fair amount of security) and the list does not reveal email addresses, you could then send the member who lives near to you an email via the forum email system, if they then are happy to share their personal email address with you, they may do so.

This will depend upon every member updating their profile (I could possibly add type(s) owned or interested in). Adding a city to a member's profile is something I can do as a last resort but it would take a while as there are over 200 members without this information.

Your thoughts please.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1561 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  14:09:00  Show Profile
There appear to be a sizeable number of registered members and visitors to this Triple-M website/forum that wish to have members’ names/cars/location/contact details available through our website, also that David R and others advise that other clubs' sites provide this:
Quote:
“I am also a member of the Pre-War Austin 7 Club (being the owner of a 1933 RP Box Saloon) and that Club has available a list of members' addresses, phone numbers etc. which can be made available by county or in other useful formats. The local North-East Club for vintage and classic cars also makes available members' towns and phone numbers. I understand the VSCC also publishes members' details.”

I’m just a simple engineer unfamiliar with the detail requirements of Data Protection legislation, in either the UK or elsewhere in the world, so please can someone explain the differences in interpretation which enables some other reputable clubs providing information and precludes that by the Triple-M Register?

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000