Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Events | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 PA Bonnet and Wheel colour
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  16:26:39  Show Profile
Hi

We are just getting ready to paint the body on our 1934 PA project. Trying to persuade everyone to go with the orginal colours.
On the factory records its states Blue Coach work, Cambridge blue with Oxford Blue wings.

Looking at the photos on the members gallery, I m assuming the bonnet would have been Oxford Blue too?

Was silver the standard wheel colour?

Thanks

Mark Dolton

Edited by - Dolts on 20/02/2012 16:27:37

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3683 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  17:21:52  Show Profile
Hello Mark,

Yes, the body tub, doors, scuttle top and front aprin would have been in the lighter Cambridge Blue. Also the tank, bonnet and bonnet boards.

The wings, running board and wing support brackets would have been in the darker Oxford Blue.

That's the received wisdom I worked on when I had my car painted!

Based on the same wisdom the wheels would have been silver - but exactly what constitutes 'silver' is probably a whole new topic

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  20:52:57  Show Profile
Hi Tony,

The wheels were always described officially as being "Aluminium" in colour.

Unlike many recent restorations, the bonnet top and scuttle were painted the lighter of the two shades... simply because this was done at Morris Bodies, at Coventry, while the wings were painted at Abingdon. Paint colour matching was not the accurate science it is today! I was also told that the front aprons and spare wheel carrier frame were painted the darker shade, but there is quite a bit of photographic evidence which show the contrary.. this may have been a variable item.

The more complex painting of the NA Magnette was instituted to give the illusion of "lowering" a tall body-line.

These snippets I was told by those who built the cars, and were responsible for paint in the sixties, so I have no reason to argue with them.

Best wishes,
Mike
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2012 :  20:44:44  Show Profile
Many thanks chaps
Mark

Mark Dolton
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic