Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Events | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 M-Type Instruments
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

PreWarMG

Australia
440 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2012 :  12:15:09  Show Profile
My speedo glass is missing, but before I send it away for repair, I thought I should check it is an M-Type Speedo.

Can any experts on M-Types help me here ?.

The chassis number is 2M-3440.

Thanks

Tony

We are here for a good time, not a long time !.

sam christie

United Kingdom
3118 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2012 :  13:35:55  Show Profile
Tony,this is really what you need.This speedometer is marked 'PCN'

The earliest M-types had a panel like this with a speedometer marked 'PC' as below.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 24/02/2012 13:40:50
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
440 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2012 :  22:03:12  Show Profile
Hi Sam,
Thanks for the photos - very helpfull, so it seems I have something odd then - time to start searching for an original panel & instruments - very rare in Australia I suspect.

Anyone with M-Type bits spare ?? - anywhere ??

cheers

Tony

Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
839 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2012 :  23:04:42  Show Profile
Hello tony what you have is a f type pannel. The black rotax dash above has (I think) our instruments in. I have just sold a complete m type pannel as good as the black rotax one. I have all the instruments. I may be able to help you with the whole thing it's the switches which is the hardest thing to get. You may still be able to buy the blank rotax panels new?
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3118 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2012 :  08:39:38  Show Profile
Tony,the Rotax panel above is a very good copy made by member Garry Waiting/gmwaiting (in fact the photo is his) and if you look at the picture again you will see two more panels not made up.Garry made a small batch and it is possible he may still have one left.I have one of these in my own car and the quality is first class.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2012 :  08:54:35  Show Profile
Hi Tony,
I may be able to help with an original Oval panel for the later M type as per Sam's photo of the black panel. It has no instruments or switches but Greg may be able help with these. If you are interested send me an email. I could be interested in a swap for your white faced ammeter and oil pressure gauge for my Coupe rebuild if you want to revert to the black faced dials.
Keith
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1736 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2012 :  09:02:53  Show Profile
Hello Keith and Tony

I have a white faced ammeter and need an F instrument panel...

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3118 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2012 :  09:24:04  Show Profile
Is the F-type panel the same as the D-type?

Sam
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
440 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2012 :  09:48:31  Show Profile
Thanks for all the info chaps. I have taken some better photos of the instruments I have and they are pretty close to the white faced ones in sam's photos, so it seems I need the early type panel (not the Rotax one), and find a good home for the F-Type panel I have.

The whole dash has been made to suit the F-panel, so it looks like a full dash build is in order, while I get the instruments overhauled and re-faced in white.

Does anyone have build details on a dash ?.

Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1736 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2012 :  11:37:17  Show Profile
Sam, yes it is...

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2012 :  11:38:22  Show Profile
I have a full-size "paper" template of the dashboard with all original holes, cubby hole etc correctly labelled. If interested contact me via e.mail. Rich
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3118 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2012 :  12:00:53  Show Profile
Tony, I think your speedometer is of a type (a 0-80mph PC is very hard to find) possibly from a Wolseley Hornet.Because it is 'PC' it would work fine in an M-type though it would only blend in on the early panel.The oil pressure gauge is the same as the early M-type and the OHC Morris Minor.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

John Haine

United Kingdom
208 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2012 :  18:10:45  Show Profile
Tony, If your chassis number is 3440, which is a very late one, surely you should be going for the late M-Type instruments (black face), not the early ones. John
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
440 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2012 :  19:12:23  Show Profile
It looks like my first priority today is to confirm the chassis number - when was the change from early to late type panels - does anyone know ?.

Thanks again for all your help chaps - I'm on a steep learning curve on M-Types at present.

While the instruments I have may not be correct for my chassis - until I can find a complete correct panel & instruments I'd rather keep the car on the road with the "wrong" instruments.

Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
440 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2012 :  19:14:37  Show Profile
Does anyone know a supplier for replacement black faces if I need to "convert" my white face gauges ?.

TIA

Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3118 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2012 :  19:44:23  Show Profile
Tony I think John is right though it is very difficult to find all the right parts.

There is a speedometer which looks almost the same as the original black faced 0-80 (new and unused and possibly army surplus) which turns up very commonly and though 0-60 and unchromed otherwise looks very similar.Sadly a misconception that this is an M-type speedometer can distort the price (especially on eBay where the one pictured has just sold for an excessive £145).

Some chroming would improve the effect but the main drawback is that the ratio is completely wrong but there are adaptors "Gear Ratio Adapter to speed your Speedometer" seen on eBay from the USA which they claim "will slow your speedometer down as much as 58% or speed it up as much as 200%." These adaptors sell at US $62.00....Has anyone any experience of these?

You could fit the other two gauges to a Rotax panel (after all they are almost right) as they are and replace the faces at your convenience.

An original M-type Rotax switch unit is almost impossible to find but I imagine with some thought you might be able to get some other switch to do much the same job (perhaps the switch from the panel you have). The rest is a matter of ingenuity...and remember someone out there wants your F-type panel or that rather nice rare 0-80 white faced PCN unit.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 25/02/2012 19:48:54
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000