Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Numbers
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PeterL

United Kingdom
1721 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2012 :  21:42:46  Show Profile
I have been checking chassis frame numbers for Allan Bentley.

I find the front engine mounting X tube from one chassis has Frame No 837 on it but also has EX120 93 in small print stamped on it. Is this a long lost bit of MG history or what?

Any ideas?

Cheers

P

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2012 :  10:22:04  Show Profile
Calm down Peter. No, you haven't discovered a long lost (and now extremely valuable) part of EX120. The bit in questin was originally designed for the EX120 project, but when it was perfected, it was brought into general use in the wider MMM range, but retained its "EX120" drawing office reference. Later MMM cars have many such "EX120" bits and pieces in them.

Sorry about that

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1721 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2012 :  10:27:03  Show Profile
Phew

Thanks. Wouldn't have been able to insure it!

Hope you are well, Colin

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

Allan Bentley

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2012 :  12:38:53  Show Profile
Hi Peter.
The stampings on the F Type cross shafts must be serial numbers for this key part. This was suggested by Robin some time ago when I contacted him regarding the modified L1 chassis, I have been asked to look at in SW France. This particular cross tube design was common to all chassis from the C Type onwards. The design of the centre casting has evolved from the C Type and the one on my P Type, which has a stiffener on the upper side. The concept was used from the C Type through to the TA/TB but was modified for different steering boxes and engines. The TA/TB chassis were deeply engraved on the LH siderail just behind the dumb iron casting so it would not be easy to file this off without weakening the chassis.
The D types may have the low numbers. Total F manufacture was 248 and all your numbers are above that. So add 250 D Types and you still don't get as high as your numbers. I think the J2 was in production at the same time as the F e.g from 1932. This could account for the high numbers on all of your F chassis, but does not explain the low number of 173 on the L Type in question and I assume is a 1933 car.
I understand from the history books that anything which would 'roll' after the war was reincarnated. Especially a war damaged 6 cylinder MG, as it would make an excellent Special. The F chassis were rivetted, but the front engine mount was always bolted between the frames, but could not be removed without un rivetting a side frame which essentially makes this number part of the frame but not used by MG except perhaps for stock control.
Any further thoughts?
Allan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000