Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Red C Type in Japan - Safety Fast page 65
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Allan Bentley

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  10:58:32  Show Profile

Does anyone know which of the 44 C Types this is? I re assembled the Robin Mere car for Allan McNab in the late 90s, but we sprayed it green. This car went to Japan but the cowling was different. The C Type in the photo looks to be an excellent example, or is it a vertual C?
Allan

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  12:13:12  Show Profile
Allan, without visible ID it's difficult to tell. However I've no idea which K3 or Double Twelve they are either! Your "innocent" question may generate some more passionate debate along T/Q lines.......
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  13:46:44  Show Profile
How frustrating that I haven't received my copy yet, so I can't see what cars you're on about! Any chance of a scan of the page on here?

Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  14:31:06  Show Profile
Cat

No sooner said ....

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  14:58:29  Show Profile
Ha, thank you, Dick! Apple wonders, eh?!

My guess is that the middle one is not one of the 44 C-types made, the green one is not one of the 33 K3s made and the M-type not one of the 12/12 batch or of the Replica batch ...

Pity that the Club didn't see or check or think or ...
Oh dear, oh dear ...
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  15:16:11  Show Profile
Maybe they are genuine best of their type models in their own right LOL
Regards David
Go to Top of Page

Allan Bentley

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  17:25:08  Show Profile
No debate please!
However it would be nice to know if it is the ex McNab car, as we put a lot of work into getting it going. More than 30 years from finding to running. I thought it had gone to a museaum in Japan to sadly never run again.
Hope it is the car and it looks in great condition and presents an excellent example of its Type and Marque.
Must say that all the MG D/Cs I have seen have been outstanding examples of restoration down to the smallest detail. Far better than I could manage in the 1960s, even with the help of my best MG friend Colvin Gunn.
Colvin was the pioneer of the PB/Q and his, the first off the line in the mid 60s has become a legend and a formula much copied over the years. By the way it had a fibreglass body in the late 50s, so he did not destroy a running PB. This is why it got a 'skimpy type body a' la Q, as he could make this himself. I have just found some 35mm slides taken in 1964 of the real Q Type he used to copy all the body work details.
When I look at the lever filler caps today, I wonder how many have been cloned from a pattern made by Colvin from the radiator and oil tank caps put on C0294 by Robin Jackson when he prepared it for Leslie Seyd for the 1934 Alpine Trial. It still has the wire locking holes, as that year the radiators were sealed and points lost if they had to be topped up. These tiny holes now provide a fine spray of water at revs over 5000. this was a very useful rev limiter 'in the line of sight' when competing in Hill climbs!
Allan
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  00:54:31  Show Profile
Allan,

I am told on good authority that the red car is not a genuine C type but a D type in disguise. The M type is not a genuine Double Twelve nor is the K type a K3.

The copies do not stop with the cars, the MMM MG Racing sign is a copy of the sign I used to take to MG Silverstone for many years.

The picture below was taken at MG Silverstone in 2000, the black K3 is K3011, the R type is RA0257 and the green K3 is K3017. The two cars half out of the picture are K3009 on the left (blue single seater) and the green K3 on the extreme right is K3026

Peter
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  07:55:26  Show Profile
I have also removed my flippant remark

Edited by - David Allison on 08/03/2012 16:48:08
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  09:32:26  Show Profile
That is all a bit unnecesary. I think there are times when you should control your urge to comment on everything David.
There are a lot of genuine cars and genuine Triple M enthusiasts in Japan who could be offended by your remarks.

TH
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  09:53:24  Show Profile
I am with you on this one Terry. I also recall that someone once said that imitation is the simcerest form of flattery. That applies to both signs and cars.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  10:03:45  Show Profile
I have removed my, clearly, ill-judged posting which was intended as light hearted humour. It had not occurred to me that anyone might 'take it the wrong way'. My sincere apologies to anyone who may have done.

Having built 2 Triple M cars myself which were basically 'facsimilies' I have no strong views about the rightness or wrongness of such practice.

David, you may wish to do likewise.

Terry, Colin, thanks for the heads-up.

As an aside, my old Q rep is in Japan, I believe. I would welcome any news of it.

Edited by - kimber on 08/03/2012 10:04:27
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3238 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  12:23:28  Show Profile

I am with Terry and Colin on this one.

Both the Colvin Gunn and Andrew Bradshaw "Q" styled P types were very fast and reliable in competition and were a very good advert for our cars. Similarly Mike Dowley has used ARY614 to great effect.

I built the PB ARY614 in the style of the Q using some photos and dimensions from Colvin's car. I did not destroy an original car either as it was incomplete when I bought it.

George
L2023 and NA0960
Nr Buckingham UK
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  12:29:15  Show Profile
Your final sentance George is the whole point IMHO. If all you have is a rolling chassis the world is your lobster. What upsets me is the breaking up of viable cars, sometimes in very good condition, just to make a something a bit more valuable.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Allan Bentley

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  12:32:57  Show Profile
Totally agree with you both.
All these cars set the bench mark for restoration over time. Just like Geoff Coles did in the 1960s. I still have his long letters with technical advice dated back to 1965. Now we have the Forum!
Allan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000