Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Rear lamps on the J2
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

PeterL

United Kingdom
1722 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2012 :  22:28:25  Show Profile
Here it is in close up. It should be painted black.
It is bolted to a one eared number plate as per the previous photo.

A quick note on LEDs. these are available but beware! I fitted them to the pork pies on my F and it promptly failed its MOT. LEDs shine their light in straight lines and not enough went sideways to illuminate the number plate. If you make your own then put some pointing sideways.

Cheers

P

Edited by - PeterL on 15/03/2012 22:31:49
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2012 :  23:15:58  Show Profile
Peter,

If you go to this site; http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/ you will find rear LED bulbs which have a radial ring of white LEDs behind the "rear/stop" ones to address this very problem. I think you can get similar ones elsewhere.

Just a satisfied customer!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2012 :  09:49:46  Show Profile

Hi All

My version for rear end safety, the lamp brackets can be removed for originality.

I have a TD and when driving it, have noticed how modern drivers find it hard to assess the relatively low speeds that our "old" cars are being driven at.

Therefore the two upper lamps are for the Flashers and the two lower lamps are Stop and Tail.

The ST38's are still larger that my TD rear lamps!!

Russ
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1472 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2012 :  13:18:39  Show Profile
I would not advise putting a side/brakelight bulb in the TF 201 although it will fit. I found it to be too close to the red plastic. The heat made the old fashioned plastic shrink so that it fell out. It was quite a problem finding something to replace it. Before you could get ST38s with different coloured glass and small bulbs, I extended the back of mine slightly to take 21w bulbs and cut up a couple of square trailer lamps for the plastic lens. I think the original glasses are bit too dark, well mine were but perhaps later ones are lighter.
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Green

South Africa
363 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2012 :  13:00:14  Show Profile
Hello. I have a Lucas AT 201 which I thought was the original tail lamp for the J2. If not, does anyone know where it might have originated ?

Regards

Rod

Rod Green
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2012 :  15:15:42  Show Profile
Attached is a picture taken at the Triple-M workshop in Belgium last week-end. There are some very new LEDs just out, which get over some of the previous comments. I will attempt to show via photos in the next few days. However, seeing the difference between the two really does help. One half had LED's the other had standard bulbs. Terry A

Go to Top of Page

Rodney Green

South Africa
363 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2012 :  18:17:47  Show Profile

Rod Green
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2012 :  18:21:00  Show Profile
This lamp is a Lucas at 201 very similar to the tf 201 but not as nice. They are fitted to late 20's austins
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000