Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 F1 Stiles F0313
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  22:16:16  Show Profile
Dear All

Please can you cast your minds back to the dim and distant past...

Peter Rose of Norfolk and later CAB Saunders were owners of F0313, GG7531, my once blue F1 Stiles which was fitted with a later MMM engine.

Does anyone remember them or the car?

Many thanks

Peter

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2012 :  08:32:44  Show Profile
Hi Peter,

Although my memory is long, I have to admit that I dont specificslly remember your car. The latest (2011) register shows it to be a damaged chassis only!

However it is, or was, a car of some significance. As it happens I am in the process of trying to tie up all the bits of information which I have collected over the past 50-odd years, and try to piece together the history of "our" cars.

The first owner of your car was a chap called D.Murray, of Edinburgh... odd in that the GG registration indicates that it came from Glasgow: indeed the agents were A & D Fraser of Glasgow. However I THINK that Mr Murray might well be David Murray, later to be associated with Ecurie Ecosse. He certainly competed with your car in more than one trial. I have no other information on the car, however, but would encourage you to restore it to its former glory.
At present my events files all all separate, and to look for one car is not an easy task, but I will try to get this information for you if you dont already have it.

In the sixties I do remember Trevor Karmoramy with his re-engined Stiles (F 0739/GW6890, and now owned by Roger Emerson)which went well for a few seasons.

In my own experience, I think the F-type power unit is a pleasant and smooth running one, which has become somewhat looked down upon by the "latter day saints of MG folklore" because of what followed. I owned an F-type Salonette before Triple-M started, so I do speak from experience... and in those days it was my sole transport, before being replaced by NA0307!

So, get in the garage, and save that car!

Best wishes,
Mike
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2012 :  09:28:49  Show Profile
Mike

Thank you for this, you have just about doubled my knowledge of the car's history.

My ownership started three years ago with an ebay advert for a prop shaft. I asked of course if there was anything else of the car available to be told there was a Stiles chassis. When I saw it I was appalled at its condition and my disappointment caused a long silence in the conversation. In this interval the owner cut the chassis in half and loaded it into the back of my Volvo. It came with the bonnet from F0565, the Stiles dicky seat cover, the Stiles petrol tank and a box of broken N Type engine bits. The car had been destroyed in a fire. All my MMMs have been rescue cars but none of them a basket case like this.

I now have a radiator and shell, an F engine and gearbox, the chassis and axles etc from F0984 (but may have a new chassis made with the original dumb iron), I have the woodwork and skin from Theun's Stiles in Holland which he restored so beautifully and original damaged dashboard and bonnet sides (courtesy of Ian Ross) which were left over from the rebuild of another Stiles, so I now have enough bits to enable me to rebuild the car and I have met most of the Stiles owners in the UK who have given me great encouragement and help as has Malcolm Appleton in the USA.

Roger Emmerson is rebuilding his Stiles and between us we have nearly all the bespoke Stiles bits. Sadly I am a slow worker so this project will probably see me out but as I consider the Stiles to be the prettiest of all the MMM bodies I am looking forward to doing it.

I hold out hope that the original engine might turn up. So if anyone out there has the original block, 535AF, that would be the icing on the cake. I did wonder if a previous owner might have it still and that was what originally inspired this thread.

So Mike, thank you for this extra information and if you do uncover anything else I would be delighted to hear.

Best wishes

Peter

Photo shows chassis bits and the cut off rear half of the chassis, note the sag caused by the heat of the fire and the reprofiled rear spring.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000