Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Bonnet hinge rods
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  22:02:11  Show Profile
I find that, while my central hinge rod is steel, the outer two are brass.

I wonder, is this the inevitable result of nearly eighty years or is there an obscure but very good reason for it & I should use the same materials again?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1565 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  23:50:11  Show Profile
Dave,
When I came to strip my PB for restoration I found that despite the centre bonnet hinge being stainless, it had seized on the original mild steel rod/hinge-pin, so on rebuild I replaced all the rods/hinge-pins with stainless ones on the basis that they should remain 'free' for the next 80 years
I found that model engineering suppliers usually hold stocks of s/s rods in appropriate imperial sizes.

Tip: The rods/hinge-pins are usually readily inserted coupled to the chuck of an electric drill - I also cut a screw-driver slot in one end to rotate for the last few mm.
Bruce.
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2012 :  08:47:24  Show Profile
Dave,
For what it is worth all my M type bonnets have a steel centre rod and brass side rods. No idea why but that is clearly what appears to have been standard practice.
Keith

Edited by - Keith Durston on 13/04/2012 08:47:57
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2012 :  09:52:44  Show Profile
Many thanks to both of you.

I think Bruce I will steer clear of stainless as sometimes one stainless part can "pick up" on another.

As you say Keith the reason is probably lost in the mists of time but, however many M bonnets you mean by "all my", it certainly looks as though it was the factory arrangement. I think I'll stick to it as they must have had a reason, whatever it may have been.

Thanks again,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2012 :  20:32:06  Show Profile
For what it is worth, my guess is that as the centre hinge is more likely to suffer bending than the side ones that is the reason it is made of the stronger material.

Maurice Blakey.
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2012 :  22:54:02  Show Profile
Sounds reasonable Maurice.
Thanks,
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1472 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  08:23:10  Show Profile
All the rods on my M are steel.
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  08:58:37  Show Profile
Oh well!
Dave
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  15:54:14  Show Profile
Rods on my M are brass - the centre one is very worn at the ends so presumably it has been there for 80 years
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  17:12:49  Show Profile
Both my PB Airline and PA 2 seater had steel center and brass sides. All replaced with stainless.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

dadknowles

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  21:18:50  Show Profile
I would suggest pragmatics. Before the war stainless steel was not commonly available and was very expensive. Same reason that steel and not aly was used on the body?
Where did you get the idea that SS picks up?....that is not yottie experience, all weather deck fittings, moving and fixed, are SS and they are happy.
Go to Top of Page

Alan Bertram

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  23:11:51  Show Profile
Galling or cold welding can occur with stainless steel, hence the following advice.

http://www.estainlesssteel.com/gallingofstainless.html

Regards Alan.
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  11:02:27  Show Profile
Thanks for that Alan,
Having read the advice, that has been exactly my experience. As far as the remedies, they seem to be talking of power driving. I don't think you can seriously slow hand driving which is all I ever did. Lubrication is not something I used to do in days when I used SS fasteners & I'm sure both bolt & nut were the same grade.
Logically one would be lubricating the hinge rods &, as my mild steel centre one has survived nearly 80 years with some wear, a small amount of corrosion & MASSES of neglect, I think I will just replace it with mild steel as planned.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  20:22:38  Show Profile

Stainless steel was used for domestic items and bicycle wheel-rims from c.1932 on. Perhaps the first vehicle firm to use it extensively was the Vincent motor cycle concern on their post-war Rapide, Shadow and Comet range.
Go to Top of Page

dadknowles

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2012 :  10:12:30  Show Profile
Hm....don't agree I'm afraid. Getting back to Requirements....the Bonnet hinges are subject to frequent wetting and warming. Hence corrosion will occur, [I would suggest you are not looking at wear, you are seeing where rust has been rubbed off]. So unprotected mild steel is completely inappropriate. Other than brake shackle pins, there can be nowhere less apppropriate for unprotected mild steel. Go for the best and know it will still be in service for your grandchildren. Be reassured, SS is used in rolling applications like bearings, yacht winches, much greater loads than our hinges.
Mind you my choice of materials is greatly helped by having a fellow enthusisast who runs a sheet metal business and lets me help myself in his stockroom. If you live around Abingdon, I'll introduce you.....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000