Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Attempted theft
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2012 :  08:09:11  Show Profile
Just as a 'heads up', someone broke into the garage (up and over doors locked and still locked, and no other signs of entry) last night. The J3 was pushed half way out and at that point it appears that they knocked over a shelf of junk beside the car. The noise seems to have spooked them, and that is how I found things this morning.

Any thoughts on wheel clamps or better ways to thwart such a reoccurrence?

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772

Blue M

United Kingdom
1474 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2012 :  08:19:00  Show Profile
Put a padlock on the outside. Many 'up and over doors' can be opened from the inside. We discovered this when someone got into ours by removing a bit of roof and pinched the lawnmower and other gardening stuff.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2012 :  08:26:27  Show Profile
A lucy escape,Ian, but a timely reminder to us all!

Up and over doors can be tricky to make secure. A padlock on the outside is a good idea to prevent access but some doors have a cable-operated latch on the inside, so the latch can be tripped from within even if a padlock is without!

If your garage has a pedestrian door, might a physical detent on the inside of the up and over door, such as a rod or batten give added security?

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

etlanpa

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2012 :  08:41:43  Show Profile
My neighbour has a steel bar that drops into brackets fitted to each side of the frame near the top of the door (he has another access).
You could also use 3" square fence post or similar.
He also had a quite sophisticated alarm fitted (monitored) for around £600 - for peace of mind that's the way I'd go
Go to Top of Page

Rick

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2012 :  09:19:15  Show Profile
I monitor the garage at night with a wireless baby alarm positioned next to a ticking clock to confirm it is operating correctly. It will also relay any alarm raised by the battery smoke alarm in the garage.
It seems to work very effectively even with the garage a short distance from the house. I like to thing that a potential intruder would disturb us before doing too much damage to the garage even though the garage has a hard wired alarm.

Rick
J2 2583
MG 2037
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2012 :  09:44:58  Show Profile
There is evidence from my work that thefts of 'our' vehicles is increasing since a) modern cars have security and b) out-going cross-channel transport is fast and relatively free from customs checking.

A good-quality motorcycle lock , the type with padded heavy chain and a padlock - I use a heavy-duty Abus - through a wheel is an effective way of preventing a car from being pushed away.

My local security shop does an impressive range of ground locks and anchors for door and vehicle security.

A siege-bar is cheap and effective for normal opening doors, as seen on most castles.

Park the locked and alarmed daily driver close in front of up-and- over doors.

Bob. PA 0603.

Edited by - Bob Stringfield on 13/04/2012 09:46:23
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2012 :  09:46:35  Show Profile
It is even possible to open some U&O doors from OUTSIDE by inserting a thin blade at centre top & using it to depress the latch that is otherwise pulled down by the cable.

Fortunately it was only a bricklayer removing his own cement mixer!

Dave

Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2012 :  10:21:03  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Oz34

It is even possible to open some U&O doors from OUTSIDE by inserting a thin blade at centre top & using it to depress the latch that is otherwise pulled down by the cable.

Fortunately it was only a bricklayer removing his own cement mixer!

Dave

A builder showed that trick many years ago, saying that any builder worth his salt should be able to find his way in to a house! Ever since then I have rigged up a second internal lock...

Graham

"I'd rather be happy than right anyday" Slarty Bartfast, Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2012 :  10:50:18  Show Profile
I have one U&O door that leads to an ally. Some years ago a whole set of garages were broken into by bending the top or bottom of the door up so that someone can craw in and release the door from the inside. Some of the newer U&O doors are quite flimsy too.

Part of my solution to secure this garage was:

Remove the cable mechanism, the outside handle now does not do anything except lift the door when unlocked from the inside. I kept the nylon catches and operate them with my finger.

I insulated the door and covered it on the inside with plywood which covered the outside edge which stiffened up the door. I also put some coach bolts through from the front to the back.

I fitted a number door bolts that slide into the metal frame in strategic places. In the corners, in the top and into the ground. These bolts are the type which you can also fit a normal pad lock.

The metal door and the metal frame were drilled in a number of places so that long “U” pad locks can be slipped through the holes.

The metal door and the metal frame were drilled in a number of other places so that 5 /16 bolts can just be slipped into the holes up to the bolt head.

Extra “L” brackets were fitted from the door frame to the brickwork to make it difficult to remove the frame and door from garage.

There are alarm contacts on the door and door frame to brickwork.

The keys to the garage pad locks are kept in the house. I have other precautions but these were the ones to slow down any possible break-ins from the ally for the U&O door.

Regards…. Terry A

Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6140 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2012 :  12:23:40  Show Profile
While I have a roller shutter door, and the garage is connected to a monitored alarm system, I have been thinking of installing a security post such as this one: http://www.thesafeshop.co.uk/Series/folding_parking_posts?product=kyp1-folding-parking-post

Of course you'd have to make sure never, ever to forget to fold it down before driving off!
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2012 :  14:43:33  Show Profile
There was of course the story (apocryphal?) of a Cathay Pacific pilot who, approaching retirement, bought himself a UK pad & a Ferrari. He bricked up the windows of the garage together with the small door & installed all sorts of locks on the car access door before returning to Hong Kong.
When he returned he was unsurprised to find the car still there however...... Taped over the steering wheel was a piece of paper. "When I want it, I'll come & get it".

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2012 :  09:35:23  Show Profile
There is a childrens cartoon about a guy who restored a bugatti-esque car and put all sorts of security around it. One day walked in to find his car facing the other way and the same message was folded up and placed in the glove box.

Matthew.

Thought of removing a couple of wheels and putting them under the bed?
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2012 :  09:48:23  Show Profile
Many thanks for all your helpful advice and lighter strains!

It now appears that the thieves were actually after a Victorian Cast Iron Fireplace also stored in the Garage (which they took). Access to it required moving the J3. However it was a powerful reminder that a locked garage is not enough.

For now I park the 'day car' close outside the garage door overnight, but am looking into an effective deterrent and warning system.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2012 :  11:48:38  Show Profile
We are having a spate of break in's in my Village in Norfolk, heating oil seem the latest must nik, along with garden tools. I now lock the five bar gate each night, I am also in the process of resurching an alarm system for the drive. It is fairly easy to alarm a garage door at very little cost. Plus keep the key to your gun cabnet under your pillow!!!!

Rodney
Go to Top of Page

RH9797

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2012 :  15:29:16  Show Profile
We have managed to secure our 'up and over' doors by using 2 mortice deadlocks, installed in the door frame in the lower 1/3rd of side of the door. A suitable channel was available in our doors for the deadbolt to locate in. With keyholes only visible on the inside this worked a treat. May be of use to someone.

Adam Jones
PA 0667
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000