Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Chiltern trials
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Andy Rogers

United Kingdom
302 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2012 :  10:40:49  Show Profile
I have seen several pictures of MGs in trials in the 1930s in the Chilterns - in particular at Amersham and Chalfont - but can't find any details of exactly where they were staged, as I would love to trace them on the old OS maps.

Has anyone got any details of these or can tell me where to look, please ?

Thanks.

Andy Rogers

george

United Kingdom
862 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2012 :  11:41:19  Show Profile
Andy, try Kophill nr princes risborough,they now reenact in sept [good fun] geoff
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2012 :  12:04:54  Show Profile
Andy,
Try Alan Grassam (I'm sure he'll pick up on this thread sooner or later). There was a select group of MMM trials enthusiasts, in which Alan was a prim-mover, who spent many a happy "short break" in like-minded company rooting out old the old forgotten trials hills.

JH
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2012 :  12:08:25  Show Profile
Andy,

A few years ago the Register ran an event called the Chiltern Hundred, including visiting the Lambert Arms at Aston Rowant. This hotel was used as the base for the Chiltern Trials.

I'll see if I have the information I produced for the booklet we printed. It included a route which included or passed by many of the sections. Roger Thomas provided much of the original information, and Bryan Ditchman and I researched the route.

John R

Edited by - John Reid on 23/04/2012 12:15:56
Go to Top of Page

RacingSnake

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2012 :  12:41:41  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by JMH
...select group of MMM trials enthusiasts, in which Alan was a prim-mover...

Many things, but I've not heard him described like that before!
Go to Top of Page

gb

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2012 :  16:29:55  Show Profile
Hi Andy,

If you can make it to the New Inn at Broadclyst tomorrow, I'll see if I can get Mike Dably suitably gen'ed up for you?

Cheers..

PA 1836
Go to Top of Page

Keith Wallace

United Kingdom
367 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2012 :  16:57:19  Show Profile
I have just booked a place for the Kop Hill, hill climb for Saturday of the two day event in September £25.00
Hope very much to meet other members there.

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Centric

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2012 :  19:00:54  Show Profile
Glenn,

Who is this Dably fellow? Bet he's not as prim as I!

Andy, e-mail me off line and I will send you a scan of the Chilterns book that details all of the Chiltern Hills. It is also possible that Dably has a copy and may be able to lend it to you.

Alan
Go to Top of Page

gb

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2012 :  19:53:34  Show Profile

Hi Alan,

Sorry must have been a freudian slip of the fingers, it could have been worse, he could have been Wayne Dibley* (!)

Let me know if you are going Andy I think you may have my mobile number if you want to txt and let me know..

* "Red Dwarf supporters club"

PA 1836
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2012 :  20:26:13  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Keith Wallace

I have just booked a place for the Kop Hill, hill climb for Saturday of the two day event in September £25.00
Hope very much to meet other members there.

Keith

Keith

I am hoping to go to Kop one year and would have joined you this year but unfortunately I will be away on holiday that week-end.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2012 :  20:58:45  Show Profile
Andy,

I do have the original Route Book produced for the Chiltern Hundred weekend - to celebrate the 70th Anniversary of the formation of the Works Trials Teams - but I see that the nimble Grassam will organise you a copy. There are quite a few photos and details about some of the sections. We included a full page of OS map references of start/finish for the hills used. The Touring Assembly started at the Lambert Arms and returned there for lunch. The afternoon section finished at Aston Clinton. The route was based as far as possible on the roads used to link the Observed sections pre-war.

If there is interest I can make the Route Book into a PDF and ask Nick to add it to the Document Downloads section.

John R
Go to Top of Page

wiggy963

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2012 :  08:26:35  Show Profile
I would be interested in seeing a Chilton Hundreds Route book PDF.

NA 0460
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2012 :  11:24:35  Show Profile
Andy,

At the time of the preparations for The Chiltern Hundreds Celebrations I explored most of the hills referred to in the Route Book (and wrote most of the hill notes in the book as I recall), in company with Malcolm Newman and thus I can supply MRs for Lewknor, Crowell, Light Cars Lament, Cooksons Stopper, Vale Farm, Rapid Rise, Alms hill, Maidensgrove and probably a few others. More recently, Bryan Ditchman and I have explored Midmere and Shillingridge Wood and had a quick peep at High Rews (or High Ruse) which Bryan had driven previously in his MGB V8 to the consternation of a rambler enjoying the peace and quiet of the Chilterns.

Several references have been made to Kop Hill. This is not really one of the Chilterns Sections at all, but is one of the most famous of the speed hill-climb courses in the U.K. having been driven by some of the most famous racing drivers and their cars. It is also infamous as it was here that in 1925 Francis Giveen crashed his newly purchased ex Raymond Mays Brescia Bugatti "Cordon Bleu" (or was it "Cordon Rouge" ?) leading to an immediate ban by the RAC and the ACU (not the police, nor the Government) on all speed events on public roads. Despite this extreme action, the MGCC went ahead and included a climb of Kop in one of their early Chilterns Trials in 1930 or thereabouts. To avoid the risk of immediate dimemberment or castration, they did not use it as a speed climb, but as a slow climb - the slowest of all over a half mile course gaining the most marks. Bet that was really exciting! The starting signal was given by the famous photographer W J Brunell with his camera's flash gun, which enabled the time keeper at the top of the hill to start his watch.

If you need any MRs after getting your copy of the Route book from Mr Dably or the prim AG or Dr John, please let me know.

Colin B
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2012 :  12:11:26  Show Profile
Colin,

You are quite correct about the hill notes - the acknowledgements to the commemorative route book read:

"Colin Butchers has written the historical background to the observed sections and places of historical interest you will encounter over the weekend. Bryan Ditchman compiled the route from instructions based on pre-war cards. Thereafter we have all driven the route many times and had a hand in modifying it where appropriate. The modern photographs were taken by me and I also acknowledge using information extracted from Roger Thomas' book on the MG Trials Cars."

It was Roger Thomas who came up with the idea of the event, and the team who worked with him to bring it to fruition was Bryan Ditchman, Colin Butchers, Alan Grassam, Mike Linward, and me. Happy Days

John R

Edited by - John Reid on 24/04/2012 12:13:02
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2012 :  10:59:08  Show Profile
John,

Happy days indeed. Long may they continue.

Colin.
Go to Top of Page

george

United Kingdom
862 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2012 :  12:08:05  Show Profile
I have just booked to take N902 up Kop Hill on the sunday run.Last year there was plenty to look at in the paddock with a good atmosphere.Geoff
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000