Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 ND Windscreen & fittings
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Malcolm Bailey

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2012 :  09:27:07  Show Profile
My ND (with K2 body) has what I think is an unoriginal system of attaching the front of the hood to the top of the windscreen. The hood fastens on to a piece of shaped wood with lift the dot fasteners which measures 44” by 1˝” by 1” and fits on to the locating pegs at each end of the windscreen. There are no screws that should tighten into the dimple on the pegs to ensure that it doesn’t part company with the windscreen (which it does if I drive the car without the side-screens)
I would welcome some guidance as to what device should be used to attach the hood to the windscreen and any pictures or dimensions would be most appreciated.
Whilst on the subject of windscreens has anybody devised a means of ensuring the wipers stay firm against the screen when in operation and should the windscreen wiper motor run hot?
Thank for any comments

rodm

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2012 :  20:27:15  Show Profile
Hi Malcolm
I have an Abbey bodied NA.

When Abbey built the car they used a K2 screen (and petrol tank).
My car had the majority of the hood frame which is very similar to the K2 and all I had missing was the collasible front tube for the front leading edge of the hood. (It doesn't have a wooden bar).
I inspected Len Goffs K2 (some 25 years ago)and copied his.

If you want to come and see how it all works, you would be very welcome.
Regards
Rod
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2012 :  23:29:54  Show Profile
Regarding the wiper question: I restore a lot of wiper motors and have the following observations.
Jeeping the wipers flat on the windscreen depends on several factors. One is the length of the motor shaft and how far out the wiper arms are on the shaft. Clearly, if they sit too far out, the tension of the wiper arm spring has no hope of holding them down. Second, are the arms in good shape, with good strong springs? Some of the original N and P type wipers had nothing more than a little wimpy coil spring in the head of the wiper arm. They may have been fine 75 years ago, but the springs is often found to be rusted and lost all of its tension. Since the original style wipers are impossible to find (I had to scratch build my own so as to be authentic on my Airline Coupe), I suggest you purchase a pair of modern arms to a close to original pre-war pattern. See Paul Beck Vintage Supplies or any of the Triple-M parts dealers.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Bailey

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2012 :  20:04:21  Show Profile
Rod & Lew
many thanks for your responses to my post and my apologies for not replying ealier.
Rod I shall e-mail you directly re your kind invotation for a viewing.
Lew thanks for thoughts. I had obtained a new set of wipers and mechanism several years ago and they have never worked satisfactorily. I shall dismantle them and check the springs and also the distance from the screen.
Again many thanks and apologies for the delayed response.
Malcolm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000