Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Racing at Rockingham Raceway, Northamptonshire.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2012 :  08:50:18  Show Profile
The MG Live! subject contained a good proportion of MMM racing comments.

Part of this was what sort of deal do the SPECTATORS get for their (time waiting and) money.

I bypass a place at Corby, Rockingham Raceway (Not the USA Rockingham SPEEDWAY)

If anyone would care to Google up their site and see You Tube footage (Rockingham Raceway 02-03-08 Nova vs Ba T Caterham ...shows racing from in car. Rockingham Raceway shows the spectator view of the whole circuit)
It would be interesting to see what the racing fraternity think about the facilities. I have no prices. I'm waiting for a reply from them.

From a spectators point of view it isn't far short of excellent.
At no point do the spectators lose sight of the cars.

From a drivers' point of view it has a number of circuits forming the complex, that can be tailored off the surrounding oval(ish)

It is central England with easy feeds off the M1 and A1.

For a place to capture the excitement of MMM racing..Le Mans start?!
it would be pretty nifty.

Perhaps this post can draw on some of the points raised by those wanting to race, and those wanting to SEE a WHOLE RACE.

Maybe the costing and control element could be favourable.
It is a fairly new build (1980s?) and has viewing lounges that overlook the track. An ideal social meeting, dining place.
I think it is a very impressive design.

SORRY to anyone who thought this was a link to an MMM race!
It just seemed to answer alot of issues raised with racing. I was at Silverstone for the VSCC racing last week as a spectator. Unless it's the buzz of driving a F1 circuit, or the name... that does it for you, as drivers... Rockingham seems full of potential as a corporate venue, for drivers and spectators. Races could be filmed in their entirity as a keepsake, and it's only 40 miles NE of Silverstone. I go past Silverstone and here nearly every day. I'm intrigued it doesn't have more of a name.

Edited by - spitfire on 28/04/2012 17:37:37

ht1962

Netherlands
114 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2012 :  13:20:33  Show Profile
Why limit the options for a new vennue to the island.
Make it a trully international event using one of the really great circuits in europa.
Spa,the Ring maybe Le Mans or smaller places like Assen or Zolder
But one could also be very happy spending a lovely weekend at Silverstone ,weather permiting ..........
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2012 :  18:02:44  Show Profile
I have no idea "how much one is willing to throw at this as a hobby"

Certainly if club challenged club, the potential of drivers plus spectators covering costs becomes a viable enterprise.

I notice many cars are trailered (lorried) to the race. Although at the Pomeroy Cup at Silverstone I saw a beautiful grey chain driven Fraser Nashowner driving himself to the circuit.

You certainly all are mad for getting on the track in Holland!
The more I see of the Dutch and their MGs the more impressed I am. With theirHarleys too.

Edited by - spitfire on 28/04/2012 18:05:33
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6140 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2012 :  18:54:47  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by spitfire

Although at the Pomeroy Cup at Silverstone I saw a beautiful grey chain driven Fraser Nashowner driving himself to the circuit.

Some years ago one of our Nash driving guys here in Northern Ireland would have his Nash driven to Kirkistown (our local track)and he would then fly to the track in his Tiger Moth, land on the back straight, taxi onto the grass and park, race the Nash and then fly home. If you're going to do it, do it in style, eh?
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2012 :  19:28:02  Show Profile
Yeah Heeeey!!!
Beautiful.

Edited by - spitfire on 28/04/2012 19:28:38
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1045 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2012 :  22:58:58  Show Profile
Come to Zandvoort!
It only is a 25 minute drive for me.
First weekend of september we have our first anual historig GP there.
I am sure a MMM race could once be part of it!

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000