Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 New noise from J2
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jeff Shackell

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  09:26:34  Show Profile
Morning

I noticed a new and unwanted noise from the J2 when last out in it a couple of weeks ago. A kind of intermittent screeching sound from the transmission tunnel perhaps, I don't feel it was from the engine. The car was running very well, gears all worked fine, nothing to suggest anything wrong except this new noise. It seemed to start when I dropped it down into 3rd gear and it continued in most gears, I think. I drove it back from where I was, about 15 miles away. Any ideas anyone ? Prop shaft perhaps? I guess we need to have a look. Been so wet here everyday since I have not used it since. Love my J2 though.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Regards. Jeff

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3678 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  09:48:44  Show Profile
Jeff

Presume you have oil in the gearbox and rear axle? Is the noise present only when the clutch pedal is depressed or all the time? If the former, might it be a dry release bearing?

If none of the above, is something perhaps fouling a rotating part such as the prop shaft?

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  10:17:20  Show Profile
Jeff if your car has been fitted with a modern replacement propshaft they run extremely close to the inside of the prop tunnel and it might therefore br rubbing. Just one of several possibilities.

TH

Edited by - tholden on 05/05/2012 10:17:51
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  18:35:08  Show Profile
Hi Jeff

It does sound like the propshaft rubbing against the transmission tunnel. I had to slightly relieve the transmission on my L2 where I replaced the propshaft with a modern one.

Regards

George
L2023 and NA0960
Nr Buckingham, UK
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  22:53:31  Show Profile
Have you the facility to get it on a vehicle hoist.
Block it up on the rear suspension/chassis, lifting the rear wheels.
Knock it out of gear and spin the rear wheels and prop etc.
As it all turns...
This should suggest anything on the outside fouling, or inside, bearing wise.
Mine is up on a hoist hell of a lot.
It makes life so much easier.

It might pay to go to a friendly MOT station and explain your dilemma.
Careful as the J2 has a very narrow track and they only just fit!
Garages with hoists have jacking beams on them. Even if you have to slip them a tenner, they would probably be happy to have such a distinguished little visitor on their lift.
Try it out.
Better to get underneath and suss it for yourself.
Remember, it's only a machine, whatever it's age. No great mystery when you look underneath.
Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Shackell

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  06:46:09  Show Profile
Morning, thank you so far for the advice, much appreciated. Dick, yes there is oil in the gearbox and rear axle. I do have an MOT garage locally with a modified ramp to take narrow vehicles, I will pop & see them, good advice.

Best regards. Jeff
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  14:49:57  Show Profile
Not really Jeff! Dont think you will learn much with the car on a ramp.
The problem is likely to be with the front flange and you cannot see that from underneath because of the panel under the propshaft tunnel. Also it may only occur when you are accelerating and the rear springs are a bit depressed. Suggest you drive the car and try putting your hand ( or to be safe get a paaenger to put their hand ! )on top of the tunnel when the noise occurs. You should be able to feel it (if that is the problem). Alternatively remove the seats, floorboards, speedo drive and the prop tunnel. If it has been rubbing you will see evidence of this on the inside of the tunnel.

I would suggest you need to do this in any event to check the joints are secure and that there is nothing else obviously wrong with the propshaft.

If it is not this let us know and will suggest other possible causes.
In your first post you mention that this is a new noise. If it were the propshaft it would probably have been there all the time so there is a good chance it may be something else but check the propshaft first.

Hope this helps.
Regards

TH
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  17:50:59  Show Profile
Bit tricky without hearing the noise.
With blocks on a beam jack, on a ramp you can depress the springs as much as you want.
Check any amount of travel. I would think a prop "coming together" would have drummed itself into your awareness straight away. With the circular mountings at the end it "could" be touching (and your screeching?)
If you get it on a ramp, you'll find some other hiccup lurking, something to tidy up. This is the battling side of things. Does no harm to see how it's fairing.
Terry and the boys are the experts in these beasties. MOT stations have roller roads for braking testing. You have the facility to drive it, stationary.
Best of luck.

Edited by - spitfire on 06/05/2012 19:48:37
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Shackell

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  21:42:02  Show Profile
Right. The noise was (we think) the speedometer drive in the gearbox over-tight in the bush. However the gearbox does seem to have an issue worth looking into and is now out. Ummm. Shame, the J2 was much easier to change gear with than the PB so I hope it will be the same when put back together.

Thank you very much to all for assistance so far. Regards

Jeff
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000