Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 Old P rear splined hubs (minus shafts)
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cardiffrob

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  19:42:40  Show Profile
Does anyone have any suggestions as to which traders to approach for a pair of used rear splined sections and assorted little bits? Are there any who might best be 'left towards last'? [PM if it would otherwise be inappropriate?]
I need splined ends without halfshafts, gaskets, 12 studs (3/8 BSF?) and plain spinners with no requirement for any chrome since I strip them back to brass anyway. Some scabby Hartfords, even if just for parts, would be useful.
Alternatively, if anyone has any of the bits going spare then I'd be interested in as much as I can get in one go.

Ta.
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
994 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2012 :  09:47:52  Show Profile
I have a couple of used P type halfshafts complete with hubs (recently replaced with tapered halfshafts), and also a new unused halfshaft and hub, which I used to carry as a spare.

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3681 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2012 :  11:42:54  Show Profile
Rob

I have a couple of used shafts without hubs if you're interested.

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

cardiffrob

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2012 :  14:03:56  Show Profile
Thanks, guys.

Colin. Have you a price in mind? I only need the 2 outer ends so the shafts might be saved for another owner if you happen to know of one? This pair of splined ends needs to go onto what I believe was previously in a Morris 8 so the shafts themselves may well be shorter (I'm not 100% sure). Would I be right in assuming 12TPI? I have lots of 8TPI eared spinners, including the spare wheel holder, but only the 2 front ones on my car are 12TPI. If you happen to have 2 shabby spinners as well....

Dick. I appreciate the offer but the other end is what I need!!!!
Go to Top of Page

rossk

United Kingdom
495 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2012 :  14:44:31  Show Profile
I have one hub no shaft was left over from a PB we restored 3 years ago just found it under the bench!
I would recommend crack testing if any used hubs are going to used on the road!

Ross Keeling
Go to Top of Page

cardiffrob

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2012 :  14:59:15  Show Profile
I've just measured the Morris shaft that is on the car and it is 23 3/4 inch total length, if that helps. From diff end to the face that touches the bearing carrier is almost exactly 21 inches.

On reflection, it may well be that the splined hub has the grooves in a different place and that the P shafts may actually be needed. Has anyone here bodged a Morris 8 axle into a P-type? I would've thought a few had this treatment during the 50's and 60s.

Edited by - cardiffrob on 11/07/2012 15:59:40
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
994 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2012 :  18:00:59  Show Profile
The used halfshaft/hubs are with the guy who replaced them for me. I'll get back to you once I've heard from him.

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

cardiffrob

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  15:45:04  Show Profile
Any news, Colin?

FWIW, the Midget/Sprite halfshafts have the same outboard spline as the P-type but the inboard is 10 tooth instead of 6 tooth. The hub itself appears to have the same dimensions but lacks the locating ring machined onto the inner end to space the bearing carrier plus it obviously has 4 instead of 6 holes. If the gasket is the wrong thickness then there is a possibility that there will be an excessive gap between the faces of the hub and carrier which will allow the bearing to slide in/out. Not sure if anyone would be silly enough to use the wrong sort of gasket paper or not.

The Sprite axle has 3 inches extra width over the Morris 8 axle and the spring hangers are incorrectly spaced (cut, fabricate, weld) so would make a decent axle for trials etc due to the EN24 halfshafts, LSD and the 9 inch hydraulic brakes that can go on. Diff ratios from 3.5 to 5.35
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
994 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2012 :  09:53:23  Show Profile
Hi Rob, sorry for the delay. I've just spoken on the phone to Dave Stewart, who has the hubs, and he tells me he has separated them from the halfshafts, but can't find them right now (he's under a car as we speak). I'll email you.

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000