Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Hillside Garage Edgware
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2012 :  10:25:27  Show Profile
Does anyone know if there was a connection between MG and this garage - proprietor: S Bowen & sons Ltd. Any info greatly appreciated- Rich

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2012 :  09:47:34  Show Profile
Rich,

They were not official MG dealers, but second hand car dealers. The showroom I remember was in Mill Hill "village" just off the Hendon Way. They often had MG's of various types in their sales yard when I remember them in the mid-fifties. The whole of that area was massively redeveloped when the motorway system was developed not many years later, but as a young enthisiast used to cycle there from Finchley to see what they had, which sometimes included a C-type Jag or exotic Astons, Daimler or whatever. When I realised MG's were "affordable" I stuck with those!!

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Jon Marsh

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2012 :  16:58:23  Show Profile
Mike,

Where in Mill Hill was the garage exactly, I don't remember it and was bought up in Mill Hill. We did have Middlesex Rebore run by the Flowers in Lawrence Street, they re-metaled my TA big ends in 1962. They are still there in the same premises, must be some kind of record that. The nearest place with exiting cars was Chequered Flag in Edgware. The other MG interest was a couple of brothers who lived in Flower Lane who had a couple of K types. Not sure which models, but one was a K3 perhaps and the other a sports body?

Jon
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2012 :  18:49:22  Show Profile
Jon,

You are obviously talking about John Cramer, who owned K3013, and his brother. John now lives in Essex.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Jon Marsh

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2012 :  19:21:06  Show Profile
Peter,

Well I was just a teenager when I remember those two cars, must have been around 1959. They only had one garage and the K3 was kept in there, the other K type was under a tarpaulin in front of the garage. Sometimes we were allowed in to look at the K3, I seem to remember the supercharger on the front. I never saw it in action, but I recall one day when a crowd of us were with the girls in the Broadway and the other K type came out and was driven down the Broadway and how wonderful it sounded with that lovely six cylinder noise, it certainly pressed my buttons. Maybe that's what got me going with all my T types.
Jon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000