Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Advice about securing car to trailer
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leafrancis14

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2012 :  19:59:49  Show Profile
Hi all,

I'm taking my PA to Peebles next week on a trailer (wimp, yes I know) and have not used a car trailer before (I have towed lots of boats, though).

I have wheel straps, but wonder about the possible impact of these on the wheels. Would I be better off securing the car using the front and back axles or do I stick with 'plan A' and strap using the wheels?

Any advice much appreciated.

Barny

Barny Creaser

(Wellingborough)

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2012 :  20:21:29  Show Profile
Where are the securing points and how many straps?
Go to Top of Page

leafrancis14

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2012 :  20:42:45  Show Profile
It's the normal Brian James affair....four straps that go over each wheel and ratchet up, holes for the wheel straps are fore and aft of each wheel, and slightly 'outside' if you see what I mean, so they'd be pulling the wheel outwards. I'm concerned about the possibility of distorting a wheel - OK on disc wheels but not sure about spokes.

Barny Creaser

(Wellingborough)
Go to Top of Page

Robin Macmillan

United Kingdom
415 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2012 :  22:45:00  Show Profile
I have done it on a minno-max trailer and it seems to be fine !

PB 0527
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2012 :  00:56:07  Show Profile
I have used straps many times on the J2 to no ill effect. On my enclosed trailer, I use "basket straps" on the Airline Coupe. These straps go over the tire and fasten in two places, one ahead and one behind the wheel. If you strap the wheel, wrap the strap so it binds on the rim, not the spokes. Alternatively, wrap the strap over the axle and not the wheel at all.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2012 :  07:05:15  Show Profile
Barney
I have towed our PB many hundreds of miles on trips to France and Italy with a setup as you described. No problems at all. Took photos as the mememory fails me when rushing to load up !!

Graham
Go to Top of Page

philcoombs

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2012 :  07:33:38  Show Profile
I think the key is not to overtighten the straps as the ratchets are surprisingly effective at tensioning them despite the relatively short length of the handles. Better for them to be slightly undertensioned initially then check them after 5 or 10 miles and balance up their tensions, also good to check that axle stands and jockey wheel are still properly secured at this point. See you in the Borders.
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2012 :  07:50:53  Show Profile
I use the same sort of arrangement for the N. Two straps on the rear wheels, and a strop around the front axle tensioned up on the manual winch. Check and re-tension everything after a few miles. I think the wider apart the hooks on the straps are, the better.

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page

leafrancis14

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2012 :  20:01:30  Show Profile
Thanks very much for this - it puts my mind at rest. Hopefully see some of you in Scotland.

Barny Creaser

(Wellingborough)
Go to Top of Page

Jerry Preston-Ladd

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2012 :  21:10:19  Show Profile
Barney

Just trailered my PA for an MOT (didn't fancy a 70 mile round trip as it's first outing after having done 1200 miles in the last 22 years under previous ownership). The straps I used had floating loops on them that could be placed over the wheel spinners before tightening and I also used a strop round the front axle which was tensioned and locked by the winch. With the handbrake hard on there was no movement at all.

Jerry
PA0417
Go to Top of Page

peterfenichel

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2012 :  00:02:21  Show Profile
Just one suggestion in reading the above post... I was advised by several "experts" quite some years ago NOT to engage the handbrake while towing. A call to Brian James Trailers might confirm this as they are the experts and very helpful, but after many years and many many miles towing various race cars MG and otherwise - with 4 wheels strapped with tie downs or the rear wheels strapped and the front axle winched up no way the little MG's are going anywhere! Adding the handbrake is unnecessary and puts un-needed pressure on all those bits.
By the way... if you ever tow a rear engined car always back it onto the trailer - best to have the engine weight on the hitch not on the rear wheels of the trailer.
Have fun!

Peter Fenichel

Edited by - peterfenichel on 17/05/2012 00:04:21
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000