Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Hood Frame mounting blocks for P types
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2012 :  17:01:01  Show Profile
I know that this subject has been covered in the past as I have checked the Archive, however it would appear that no one is really sure if they are a standard fitting. I am researching these items before taking the plunge and having a hood made.

My question is "What size and depth are the blocks" I can guess but would appreciate another opinion.

I suspect that if in 1936 a new owner was tall then the factory could have fitted them to order, however all of the hoods would have been made to a basic jig, unless a hood was made for ech car one at a time, this seems to me, to be unlikely.

If all hoods were the same then the hood frame would be slightly out of position on the cars with blcks fitted.

Any thoughts please.

Russ

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1579 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2012 :  17:56:14  Show Profile
Hi Russ,
Since the 1930’s the average height of folk has increased so I suggest the following approach (blame my automotive engineering background!!!)
• Sit in your car and measure the height from the cushion (under your bottom!) to the top of your head, and add 1” or so.
• Assuming you have a hood frame – in the folded condition locate the frame so that it fits snugly inside the rear hood-well: this locates the hood mounting pivot in the fore-aft position on the inner rear wheel arch (position ‘X’).
• Erect the hood frame and locate the mounting at ‘X’. Note that the forward hood bar should be slightly higher than the rear – see side elevation photo & frame sketch.
• Hood pivot mounting block – adjust block height to give a little clearance above the top of your head.

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2012 :  19:20:50  Show Profile
Nice info Bruce.
Would it not have been the case that purchasers of a car from the factory would have been potentially "outfitted" The blocks being used for a taller driver?
If diff, engine spec (whatever) could be ordered prior production, would this not be an obvious?
I have just received one of the excellent new hood frames from our old mates, Sports and Vintage. Has anyone made their own hood? My grandad was a saddler in the Royal Horse Artillery. Came from a background that if it could be made out of leather, it was! Used to stitch the top brasses' coat of arms on their saddles. That went over to their cars seats being handed over for the same.
I just wish I had all his leatherworking stuff. I know of people who mend their own yacht sails with a hand machine, Singer, Jones, whatever.
Not being a basketball player, I probably don't need blocks, but most interested in potential feedback.

Edited by - spitfire on 28/05/2012 09:05:34
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6187 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2012 :  07:59:28  Show Profile
Russ,

There doesn't seem to be any definitive rule for when the blocks were used, or not as the case may be. My J2 had them from new as far as I can tell but other cars didn't it would seem. But the attached scan of a drawing from the Autocar road test of the P type might prove helpful in determining the hood dimensions.

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 28/05/2012 08:00:11
Go to Top of Page

Ron Grant

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2012 :  12:18:17  Show Profile
I would have thought, that even hoods made to "perfect" patterns would vary to some degree, would not these blocks be fitted to tension the hood on one has has "come out" a bit on the large size.
Ron Grant
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2012 :  01:01:22  Show Profile
I have seen these blocks on ohc cars but doubt whether the factory would have fitted them, perhaps the servicing dealers did? A lot of such after-market mods seemed to have been carried out by the dealers. I took photos at Silverstone and Gaydon etc but wish that I had access to the info (measurements, etc) contained on this site! I made my own hood (F2) which looks like a factory one but but is rather "rough"! I seldom have to use a hood and try to avoid driving my cars in the rain.
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  11:17:16  Show Profile
Hello All

Thanks for your response, I am planning to trail fit my hood frame incorporating Bruce's suggestions and previous trials that I have carried out to establish the dimensions between hood frame bars and whether to fit hood mounting blocks etc.

Gary, I will post some pictures with my conclusions, bear in mind that I am working on a P Type.

Russ

Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  17:21:14  Show Profile
PB Hood frame fitted as suggested by Bruce with no blocks under mounting points.

I have ended up with the following measurements

Rear panel= 16.75 inches (75 degrees angle)to rear bow.

Rear bow to front bow 15 inches.

Front bow to leading edge of Windscreen 26.75 inches. (27" to Pin)

Front bow has ended up just above my head (handswidth) 41Inches to the car floor.

Have used long "Lift a Dot" pins just for the Hood Tapes.

These measurements are very like Dick Morbey's sketch from 2007.

So I feel satisfied that I am on the right track.

Hope that someone finds this info useful.

Regards to All

Russ
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  08:51:38  Show Profile
Just one small piece of additional info regarding headroom in the car that I should have mentioned in my previous posting.

I am 5'10" and reckon that I have a handswidth above my head (say 4").

I can see that, getting in and out of the car with the hood up is going to be the problem?. Once in the car its OK.

Russ
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000