Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 ENV
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  20:54:38  Show Profile
Just out of curiosity, what do these three well known initials stand for?

Maurice Blakey.

peterfenichel

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  23:42:14  Show Profile
I always assumed these gearboxes were the product of the Anglo-French engine manufacturer E.N.V. and sources say that ENV was an acronym for
"en-V" in French or 'in a V' which described their engine design which was of 90 degree configuration. Not much to do with gearboxes as such but these guys stayed in business into the 1950's I believe well after they stopped making aero engines. Hope that's correct info.

Peter Fenichel
Go to Top of Page

peterfenichel

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  23:43:42  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by peterfenichel

I always assumed these gearboxes were the product of the Anglo-French engine manufacturer E.N.V. and sources say that ENV was an acronym for "en-V" in French or 'in a V' which described their engine design which was of 90 degree configuration. Not much to do with gearboxes as such but these guys stayed in business into the 1950's I believe well after they stopped making aero engines. Hope that's correct info.

Peter Fenichel

Peter Fenichel
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
773 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  16:07:39  Show Profile
.....look at the inspection plate on an ENV gearbox.....no full stop between E and N, but there is one between N and V. and after the V.

ENV stuff ended up in the Normalair/Garrett/Westlands group......I am told lots of things were eventually thrown away!
Foz
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  16:16:10  Show Profile
The standard reference work, Georgano, says on pp230: '...an English company with French works...mainly known for aero-engines. They obtained their name from the French 'en-V' meaning a V-layout engine'.

'There are two types of knowledge - knowing oneself or knowing where to look it up' - to paraphrase Samuel Johnson.

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  20:49:15  Show Profile
Maurice I have in front of me a lovely 5 page booklet on the E.N.V. ( notice dots after each letter )Engineering Company Ltd of Hythe Road, Willesden, London. It is undated but says that the company was founded 20 years ago and was originally known as E.N.V. Motors Ltd.under which name they produced a well known aircraft engine - an 8 cylinder 60 HP unit which was fitted to the first all british machine to fly the English Channel. The booklet shows pictures of all sorts of components and also a back axle testing machine.
There are pictures of gear clusters but there is no mention of gear boxes in the list of products made. Probably this booklet was issued before they started making these.
There is mention of an Agent in Brussels but no mention of any connection with France.
Sorry this does not answer your original question but hope it is of interest !
Regards

TH
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000