Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Passenger footrest .
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

powerplus

United Kingdom
600 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  23:37:27  Show Profile

An angled footrest is sometimes found to be fitted on the passenger side of the J2, (and perhaps other models), sloping from firewall to floorboard. Was this an original fitting, a Works extra, or a later desirable addition? If it were original or a Works extra, was it hinged to the firewall or to the floorboard?

Powerplus.

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  10:03:05  Show Profile
Apparently standard on the P-type, the 'Passenger Foot Slope' appears in the Parts List as B251/122 and appears, as on PA 0603, to be secured by a single-bolt bracket at the forward (top) end and by gravity at the base.

Underneath makes a useful place for small running spares, etc..

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  10:11:49  Show Profile
Hi Alan,

It is my understanding that the passenger foot rest was original. There is no hinge. It has an obtuse angled tab on the bottom front face edge which has a hole at each end of the tab. The tab top screw fixes the to the foot rest. The bottom hole fixes the foot rest to the n/s floor board with a wood screw. The top underside edge of the floor board has an acute angled tab such that the tab is parallel to the fire wall. The tab end that is fitted to the firewall with a 2 BA nut and bolt. The original nut is the flat square section not hexagonal like they use in Machcarno. Both my P type and the L CC had these foot rests fitted …… Regards…. Terry A
Go to Top of Page

Otto

Germany
63 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  10:22:01  Show Profile
Hi,

at the moment I also try to fabricate a footrest for my PA.
Does anybody have a picture of his 'Passenger Foot Slope'? In order to help me or to give me an idea how to do it!

Thanks!

Wolfgang
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
705 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  10:38:10  Show Profile
Here's the link to a drawing of the P footrest in the Documents Download section of the website: http://www.triple-mregister.org/uploads/retro/MGPAfootslopedrawing.pdf

Searching the archive finds a few other threads which may help.

John R
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  11:01:38  Show Profile
I, too, have agonised whether to make a footrest for my F2. Were they an original factory item or were they fitted by dealers to placate owners? There were so many cost-cutting measures in other areas that one is led to scepticism! My very original little 1931 M-type, for example, never had a stop lamp, rear vision mirror or driver's side side-curtain (and still hasn't!), such were the economy measures that were taken. Can someone enlighten me?
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
571 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  12:11:43  Show Profile
As my wife is not very tall & therefore a bit short in the leg I have made a footrest that is located , very firmly, about 9 inches from the bulkhead. It is also removable for when other , taller, friends are in the passenger seat (which is not very often). She finds it a great help in steadying herself , alongwith the grab handle , when I do my 'boy racer stuff' !.
Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  15:55:12  Show Profile
I fitted a foot slope to our PB. It makes riding in the passenger seat so much more comfortable. I'm 5ft 11 and it is still comfortable as it allows you to plant your feet squarely instead of having one foot on top of the other jammed against the side of the gearbox ! Well worthwhile. I copied the drawing mentioned above.
Graham
PB0602
Go to Top of Page

Lech

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  21:37:12  Show Profile
For what it's worth, the J type spares list quotes:-

Part number B220/155 - Passenger foot rest with rubber matt
This item is quoted for both J1 & J2 versions (Floorboards & Carpets - pages 19, 20 & 21).

The part list also shows two rubber mats so I assume the matt on the passenger footrest is the same item as sewn onto the driver side carpet.

Lech.
Go to Top of Page

Eric Taylor

France
157 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  22:59:18  Show Profile
Here's a scan of a photograph in a Thirties motor repair book showing part of a passenger's footrest in a J type. Hope it might be of some use.

As an aside it looks like the gearbox centre was painted.

Eric.
Go to Top of Page

powerplus

United Kingdom
600 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  17:01:39  Show Profile

Thank you all for your very helpful input to this topic.

The foot slope is now installed, and the passenger is pleased with it!

Powerplus.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000