Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Raid of New England
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gordclark

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  02:38:22  Show Profile
In 2008, a select group of about 10 Triple M-ers, invaded New England. Its my understanding that this was the second “raid”, in this case, organized in part, by the late Bob Hudson.

Can anyone advise me on the dates of the earlier “Raid of New England”?

... and out of curiosity, are any more “raids” planned?

Gord Clark
Rockburn, Qué.

leckstein

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  12:11:09  Show Profile
I believe it was in 1991, a year after our (NEMGT Register) Circuit of Britain. I arranged the tran-Atlantic crossings and hotels for Bob Hudson and the group. He was wonderful, as was the whole group. As we age and as restrictions and costs escalate, it seems that these exchange tours are getting harder and harder to organize. A real shame. They were great fun.

Mike L
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
655 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  17:15:02  Show Profile
Yes, Mike
The old brain cell is still sort of working.
Trip took place in October 1991.
We visited the GOF at Farmington October 17th-20th of that year.
we are indebited to you for all your organisational skills for both trips
Gordon
Unfortunatly your brain cell is slightly off as the trip was in 2006.
Three of the 1991 participants survived to do both trips.
So we have been twice to your side now - isn't it about time you did a trip back to us??
Tony
Go to Top of Page

leckstein

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  20:17:22  Show Profile
Tony, It is almost impossible now. Two or three years ago the US set up a security id system that you would need to get into the port. Before, a simple pass from the shipper let us load and unload the cars directly off the ship. Now we would need these security ids from the government to get near the ship. Almost impossible to get for our purpose. You would't want the regular drivers employed by the port to get near our cars.

By the way I have to tell you that your witty remarks on this forum are truly appreciated. You and a few others always give me a good laugh. Keep it up.Even if they are deleted from time to time.

Mike L
Go to Top of Page

gordclark

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  07:05:55  Show Profile
Many thanks for the information, Guys.

And for what its worth, if the future ever has another "raid", it may be a lot less expensive to containerize them. A 40' container will hold 3 cars. Also insurances costs are lower. I believe the voyages that Mike arranged were Ro-Ro (roll on, roll off). The down-side of a container, is that there's no guarantee of getting the container below decks. There are thousnads of containers on the bottom of the oceans, that have come off during the crossing be it the Atlantic, or the Pacific.

Gord Clark
Rockburn, Qué.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000