Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Recommendation - diff rebuild
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jonathan Sage

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2012 :  22:27:22  Show Profile
Can anyone recommend an engineering shop in south UK to replace crown wheel and pinion from P type? Slough Grinding services which is local to me may be a good bet. I broke mine earlier this week, engine having been rebuilt by Baynton Jones going too well.
Also in spite of very little experience, I managed to extract the diff by removing the diff back plate, clamps retaining crown wheel and then crown wheel itself, then the pinion assembly having disconnected the prop shaft. Assume that it makes sense to take the removed parts, have crown wheel and pinion replaced and properly set up, and I can probably reinsert it myself.. can it be reinserted in one piece?
Are stronger CP's available?
Also I have had problems with oil leaking one side into the brake drum - what method is used to prevent that? Thanks and apologies for so many questions
Jonathan Sage
Henley on Thames /
Also Wool / Dorset

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2012 :  23:18:29  Show Profile
Jonathan

I would very much recommend Ken Robinson. He is building a J2 Diff up at this moment for another customer and comes highly recommended for MMM engine work, diffs, Volumex work and steering boxes.

Regards

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1472 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  06:29:59  Show Profile
Jonathon,

It sounds as though you have dismantled the diff while leaving the casing in place. The rear plate doesn't need to be removed. The whole unit must come out - from the front. It must also be rebuilt as a unit. From what you have managed to do so far, it's likely you could rebuild the diff yourself. It isn't complicated.

For the oil leak, S+V have plastic bushes with a return 'thread' which work well. A fully sealed bearing is a good idea too.

Ian
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1722 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  06:46:40  Show Profile
I do my own extraction and replacement, Tim Miller (KIngsbury Episcopi Somerset) rebuilds them.

I get my advice from G Howell's "Practical Guide to the Restoration of the J Type" and Malcolm Green's "MG Road Cars Vol 1"

Technical advice is also available on this site under downloads and the discussion forums, where a new means of measuring pinion shimming I think it was, has just been discussed.

I have just done all this, buying all the bits from S&V: double row bearings and new half shafts, hubs and seals, felt seal, lock nuts and tab washers.

My observations were how rough the interior of the axle tube is, good for gripping the scroll oil seal though and it went in with a push (sometimes reaming is required). The rear bearing on the side the half shaft broke was worn and wobbly so might have been the cause of the break, and to check your wobbliness you have to take out the half shaft otherwise it will seem less wobbly than it is! Roger Furneaux provides tapered rather than splined halfshafts and hubs and next time I shall investigate these.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  08:58:34  Show Profile
Hi Jonathan,
I would heartily recommend Ken Robinson. He has just put a different ratio CW&P in one of my diff housings.
Go to Top of Page

Jonathan Sage

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  12:31:16  Show Profile
thanks for all the advice, what's the best way to get hold of Ken? It is Slough Grinding Services, isn't it?
Go to Top of Page

Jonathan Sage

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  12:32:18  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by IAN JUDD

Jonathon,

It sounds as though you have dismantled the diff while leaving the casing in place. The rear plate doesn't need to be removed. The whole unit must come out - from the front. It must also be rebuilt as a unit. From what you have managed to do so far, it's likely you could rebuild the diff yourself. It isn't complicated.

For the oil leak, S+V have plastic bushes with a return 'thread' which work well. A fully sealed bearing is a good idea too.

Ian

Go to Top of Page

Jonathan Sage

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  12:36:26  Show Profile
Thanks for your vote of confidence Ian :-)
I take it the bearings that need to be fully sealed are the wheel bearings in the rear hubs - the S&V plastic bushes are located on the half shafts? Sounds as if these would do the trick since the bearings are fairly new and don't yet need replacing..
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  14:39:56  Show Profile
The other option Jonathan for hub sealing is a conversion by Roger Furneaux, mentioned re tapered half-shafts. This uses special hub nuts incorporating a lip seal, together with a stainless sleeve bonded (i.e. glued!) over the outer end of the shaft for the seal to run on.
I would also heartily endorse Ken Robinson.

Best of luck,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Jonathan Sage

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  16:15:58  Show Profile
Thanks Dave, sounds like a very good solution, I will bear this in mind when I replace the half shafts - ones in there now are new..
Jonathan
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  19:33:12  Show Profile
Possibly I've confused Jonathan by mentioning the tapered shafts; the lip seals can be used on standard shafts. The only possible problem is that they were originally designed for T Types which have more space in the hub. With Triple M cars it's sometimes necessary to machine out the hub interior by a small amount.
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Jonathan Sage

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  20:14:47  Show Profile
Right, thanks for the clarification Dave /.
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  13:30:50  Show Profile
I tried several different fixes for the oil leaking into the brake drum and down the outside of the wire wheel syndrome without success. Roger's modification has fixed it perfectly. I didn't have to modify my hubs either.
Nick
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  14:10:39  Show Profile
they are listed on ebay so only takes a click on a button to buy.
My only connection is as a satisfied user.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150874117262?clk_rvr_id=383681822804

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page

philcoombs

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  15:37:39  Show Profile
Jonathan
Roger Furneaux will also rebuild your diff for you - did mine two years ago and it is still in one piece despite regular abuse.
Philip
Go to Top of Page

Hornet

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  21:46:55  Show Profile
if the oil is leaking along the splines of the halfshaft and hub then press them off and clean the surfaces and refit using plenty of loctite .
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000