Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Dodson K3 International Trophy 1934
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Peter Seager-Thomas

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  19:11:17  Show Profile
A couple more pictures, again courtesy of Motor Sport, this time from the Mannin Beg in 1934.
This one had/has me concerned since it showed Dodson in what appears to be a car coloured brown and cream, neatly matching Eystons Humbug. In the book 'ELC2', Dog Nye suggests Wal Handley drove a car in these colours at this race. Is one of them in error, or were there two brown/cream K3s racing that day?

The other picture shows Eyson and Hamilton in the same race.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2012 :  09:14:08  Show Profile
I believe Eyston had entered a team of three cars, including his own 'Humbug'...

Graham

"I'd rather be happy than right anyday" Slartybartfast, Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2012 :  10:06:30  Show Profile
And here Peter, are the 3 Eyston "Team" cars wearing their Mannin Beg numbers:

:

It will be the weekend before I have a chance to look for photos from the International Trophy.

JH
Go to Top of Page

Enfield Allday

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2012 :  19:16:15  Show Profile
The K3 Dossier (M B Hawke 1992) gives Dodson as driving K3020,K3021, K3022 in various events. The only time he drove in Internatioal Trophy was for K Don team,1934 in either K3021 or K3022, both cars were black. Did he ever drive a K3 painted dark green? Were any K3's delivered ex-works in dark BRG? I believe the works 1933 team K3001,2,3 were grass green like K3752.What colour were 1934 team cars? I assume K3020 driven by Dodson, 6-10-34 Nuffield Trophy, Donington was cream/brown.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Seager-Thomas

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  20:16:17  Show Profile
Below is the picture from Lindon's 'Grand Prix'.

I have read of two K3 teams running in the International Trophy race, those of Kaye Don and George Eyston, the former consisting of K3021, K3022 and K3024, Eystons of K3020, K3023 (Magic Magnette) and K3026.

'ELC2'states that Black drove 3024 in this race, his number 12 being confirmed in several sources.
Number 12, with number 14 and 23 all have what appear to be blanking plates on the lower radiator, which suggests they may be from the same team, that is, Kaye Don's. These cars are grouped half way down, 1/4 way in from the right, apologies for the low resolution picture. The wheels appear to be body colour.
Number 15, Dodson, is back with the Humbug.
Cat, do you have Handleys race number please?

Another picture, of Black, K3024(?), Humbug and a '33 K3?

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  22:26:43  Show Profile
Team Kaye Don
12 Black
14 Froy
15 Dodson

Team Eyston
16 Eyston
17 Handley
18 Penn Hughes

19 Hall
20 Hamilton
21 Manby Colegrave
22 Eccles
23 Martin
24 Donkin/Fronteras
25 Horton

Cheers,
Cat
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3377 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  13:35:21  Show Profile
I have been sent the following information that might help:

Dodson was a “young up an coming professional driver” and was usually entered by a benefactor. In the thirties it was rare for a professional driver to have “their own car” until late on in their career if ever (even Nuvolari didn’t actually own a racing car).
Dodson had been a motorcycle racer (I think he worked and rode for Norton and BSA – might also have AJS in there too) but when he got married moved to cars via George Eyston. George Eyston was without doubt the most important of MG Car Company’s clients.
There was at the time no such thing as a “works entered car” – the works relied on selling the cars and supporting the entrant with staff from the development/experimental shop. George Eyston and E R Hall used to have the pick of the mechanics (Eyston always chose Reg Jackson and Sid Enever). The only exception was the 1933 TT when Nuvolari was entered by Lord Nuffield in the K3 at “Ards”. Then the mechanics were hand picked by his Lordship and Eyston entered a team of Riley’s instead. Nuvolari got Reg Jackson, Alec Hounslow and Hounslow rode with Nuvolari. ER Hall got Henry Stone and Fred Kindell – Hall had “A N Other” ride with him.
In 1934 Eyston & Don purchased several cars and all were painted at various times during 1934 in Eyston’s racing colours of cream and brown, but also Kay Dons racing colour of Black.

23 was the “Humbug” record car – it was always a single seater. Eyston or Don might have purchased 21 as well – but I think that car was always owned by Hamish Weir and later became the Monaco single seater now owned by Malcolm Beer.

20 and 22 were standard bodied cars but I don’t think that these were the Mannin Beg cars – ELC 2 was number 24 and I don’t think that this was an Eyston car either (but I may be wrong).
26 was Handleys Mannin Beg car – which he famously crashed.
This car also has chequered history built from the story of a “lightweight” car – but we won’t go there!
I think that the International Trophy and Mannin Beg cars were 20-23 & 26 – it is most likely that Dodson drove 20.
However the chassis files for racing cars are always cloudy. Parts were chopped and changed to suit the availability of car and driver.
For the International Trophy in spite of the race title this was a national event – but with an OPEN entry.
The cars might have been re-sprayed between the Mannin Beg and the International Trophy – if so it would probably have been Black.
Black was the colour of choice because it was easy – plus it was the undercoat finish of choice for all cars built at Abingdon.
Norman Black’s cars were always painted Black for national events – as were Witney Straight and Richard Seaman entered cars.
Kay Don also used to paint his cars black and it was not unknown for Eyston to run black painted cars either.
Penn Hughes’ car was painted black with a white blower cowl – but for international events was painted green with a white cowl.
For International events the cars would have needed to be painted in the driver’s national racing colour.
This was GREEN for Great Britain.
There was however no formal colour of “british racing green” until the BS paint codes after the war.
Even then there are about 20 shades of “British Racing Green” ranging from the very light colour used by ERA and BRM – through the colour used in the 33 and 34 Mille Miglia cars – to the conventional “British Racing Green” of the Lotus racing cars in the 1960’s (which is I think Brunswick Green – not British Racing Green at all).
K3 entries in the Ards TT – BRDC 500 – Le-Mans 24 Hours – would all have needed to be green.
Nuvolari’s entry for the 33 Ards TT was Green! They did enter a car in Nuvolari’s name for the 34 TT and an NE was painted in Italian RED (this is Pete Thelanders car) with a pre-selector gearbox.
However Nuvolari was injured and unable to take his seat and the car was driven by Everitt (a saltire painted on the radiator mesh).

Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Peter Seager-Thomas

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  23:25:05  Show Profile
Thank you Cat for the addition International Trophy entries details.

Thank you Nick for the comprehensive information. Such details do not seem to appear in books, and is not generally available on the Internet, only in forums such as this where interested parties are happy to help those in search of knowledge.

My file on these cars grows. Unfortunately/fortunately for all models I build these days, I get carried away with the history of the real cars, which is why my bookcase is full.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3377 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2013 :  12:46:11  Show Profile
I have been advised by Peter Hagarty of the MGCC Western Australia that the K3 driven by Nuvolari will be taking part in the Mille Miglia re-enactment on May 16th. If anyone is attending please take plenty of photos I am sure there would be many members interested in them.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2013 :  19:27:21  Show Profile
K3003 was driven by Eyston and Lurani in the 1933 Mille Miglia and won the 1100cc class.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2013 :  20:00:32  Show Profile
And I believe coming on to the UK after that.

TH
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2013 :  20:10:53  Show Profile
K3**3, TM1, but the chassis driven by Nuvolari? Really?

JH
Go to Top of Page

Paolo Bordini

Italy
44 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2013 :  04:02:59  Show Profile
I will be attending the next Mille Miglia and will take as many pictures as possible of Nuvolari K3003. Hoping it will make the round trip, as I will follow the MM in Umbria/Tuscany. Of course pics will be available to the MMM environment.
Paolo
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6142 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2013 :  08:50:20  Show Profile
Now, now, Jeremy, don't make waves
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2013 :  12:54:46  Show Profile
Paolo,

The car competing in the Mille Miglia does not have the Nuvolari body.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000