Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2 headlamp tie bar - chrome or stainless?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6142 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2013 :  15:39:53  Show Profile
I had assumed that the headlamp tie bar was chrome plated but the suggestion has been made to me that it was in fact stainless steel. I would have thought that s/s was perhaps a rather exotic metal to use back in the early 1930s but then I see that the bar is listed in the parts list as "length to be cut to suit" which wouldn't be ideal if the bar was chrome plated.

What Does the Team Think?

Jamie

Canada
218 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2013 :  15:56:29  Show Profile
Simon
When I bought my cycle wing J2 2351 in 1981 (a fairly early car) as a barn find, but complete car, it had a SS tie bar. I thought at the time that it must have been constucted by a previous owner which was a bit strange as everything else was clearly origional, albeit a bit delapidated! I've come to believe this must be origional and a lovely bit of brightness on the front end. Is this a definitive finding? Probably not, but I hope that others can add another 'finding' or two as I plan on keeping it!
Jamie
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scully

United Kingdom
157 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2013 :  16:00:02  Show Profile
With bonnet hinges made of stainless steel I can't see why MG wouldn't have used s/s for the tie bar as well. I've just made my tie bar out of stainless and very nice it looks too!
Peter
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6142 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2013 :  16:07:05  Show Profile
Indeed, I'd forgotten that the bonnet hinges were stainless. So a stainless tie bar makes sense.

Thanks, guys.
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2013 :  16:17:00  Show Profile
Early '30s Rovers had some stainless on them as well.

Chris ( J2353 )

Brighton, East Sussex & Paphos, Cyprus.
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2013 :  16:42:11  Show Profile
Original bar was chrome plated steel although many have been replaced with stainless steel tube.

TH
Go to Top of Page

Simon

United Kingdom
451 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2013 :  12:14:33  Show Profile
The tie bar on my later type J2 was as found and rusty chrome plated.It had fatigued and broken at each end at the bracket and was held in place by a threaded bar going right through with nut at each end. The bonnet hinges were not stainless but brass rod and I assumed original from the wear. Now replaced with stainless.
Simon.
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2013 :  18:47:59  Show Profile
I think by stainless hinge Simon is meant the "loops" through which the central hinge rod runs.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2013 :  00:29:56  Show Profile
The centre hinge is stainless, with a steel rod, the side rods are brass. This is all deliberate so the bonnet rods do not seize

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2013 :  00:36:34  Show Profile
The centre hinge is stainless, with a steel rod, the side rods are brass. This is all deliberate so the bonnet rods do not seize

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6142 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2013 :  08:03:14  Show Profile
Thanks to everyone. Stainless seems the way to go.
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2013 :  09:32:52  Show Profile
I would think highly reflective chromium plated steel would have aesthetically matched the grill. Although stainless and brass were quite contemporary for these years.
I used stainless bar to replace what seemed to be a cast off from someone's bathroom.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000