Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 PA doors
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mgtommm

USA
506 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2012 :  17:22:21  Show Profile
Hello Ladies and Gents,

There is a PA listed in the upcoming Hershey, PA, auction by RM Auctions. It's a former cop car and the description listing goes to great pains explaining this is why the hinges are at the front of the doors rather than the typical rear hinges.

http://www.rmauctions.com/CarDetails.cfm?SaleCode=HF12&CarID=r169

This smells bogus to me. Does anybody know if this is true? Andrea Green's nice book makes no mention of this modification on the Lancashire cars.

There must be other Lancashire PA survivors....

Thanks. tommm in cool but sunny Ohio

Bob Grunau

Canada
290 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2012 :  19:25:56  Show Profile
Hey Tommm,
I have a record of Lancashire Police cars, UK plates TJ4051 through to TJ4060, all received on 26 March, 1934. These are all PA M.G. Midgets, 2 seating and all Black and Blue colours.
PA0441 , UK plate TJ4056 , engine 670AP, is in the middle of the range. No mention of forward hung doors in the Police record.
Bob, Canada
Go to Top of Page

ags

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2012 :  23:57:50  Show Profile
Hi tommm,

I also have a police car, from Kent not Lancashire, and from the example of the build sheet of my car, I am sure that if the car did leave the Works with front hung doors then the car's Works record would show it. My guess is that a female owner, thinking of her modesty, had it converted later, though it must make getting in and out rather difficult. It is quite awkward enough with the standard arrangement.

Another thing is that though the car does have a PA block it does not seem to be the original one as claimed in the advert. I cannot read it well in the photograph given but it does not look like either the original one, 670AP, or 2393AP as listed in the 2009 Register.

As always you pays your money and you takes yer choice!

More technical ramblings from

Andrew Smith MMM571
PB Abergavenny
Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
506 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  17:15:45  Show Profile
Thanks guys. I've had several phone calls from interested people and I told them to be suspicious.

tommm
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  17:39:05  Show Profile
The disappearance of the rear-hinged car door led to a regrettable decline in the number of gentlemen who were pleased to go round the car to open the door for a lady.

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3244 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  18:10:15  Show Profile
Hi Tom

My NB is also ex Police - one of 3 NB 2 seaters ordered by the Chief Constable, Wiltshire Police. The factory build sheets show the alterations made by the factory to meet the Police requirements, these included siting the batteries under the seats, offset passenger seat, etc. The car was also black with blue upholstery and blue radiator slats.

I agree with Andrew, the factory records would definitely have shown any extra work done.

George
L2023 and NA0960
Nr Buckingham, UK

Edited by - George Eagle on 10/10/2012 18:11:10
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000