Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 No MOT ...does it change anything
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bloodysalmon

Spain
1482 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2012 :  23:32:53  Show Profile
With the advent of no MOT from Nov (in UK) for pre 60's cars, does it change anything when it comes to registering with DVLA a MMM car when it was exported to SA in/from 1932?

I believe my F0753 was never registered in UK therefore doesnt have a registration number. It therefore doesnt have Log Book either. All import duties paid by Barry Foster.

So, up until recently I had to have a current MOT certificate to be able to register such a car ... does anyone know how it works from 1st Nov?

Chris Blood (D0407, D0430 & F0753)

Edited by - bloodysalmon on 18/10/2012 23:34:28

Allan Bentley

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2012 :  09:15:42  Show Profile
Suggest you get a V5C for the car as soon as possible and make it legal under EU rules.
Go to the DVLC site and follow the process to get an age related registration number.
You need to find your local office while it still exists as the form cannot be downloaded.
Ask the MMM to provide authentification of the car chassis number.
With your existing MOT certificate and the above go back to the local office and request registration. They will/may require an inspection of the chassis/engine numbers. I found this to be the slow point as at my local office in Chelmsford the experts time is limited so getting an appointment is a bit like the NHS.
This inspection process is one reason given by the staff to keep local offices offices open. It also covers imported cars and modern vehicles which have had an engine change.
Cost about £70 and the registration number will be 222 AAA in that order as they claim to have run out of our type registrations.
Hope this helps but make the car legal before they close all the offices and you are dealing with a computer!
Allan
Go to Top of Page

bloodysalmon

Spain
1482 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2012 :  13:46:29  Show Profile
Thanks for the advice Alan, that's my point I dont have an mot at all, which was always stated as needed prior to making an appointment with the DVLA even if you have a V5. I think its the V765 form which it what I used for my YB, although in that case I had the original reg & old V5 (not V5C). Who is the person to provide me with the history file on F0753 then?

Go to Top of Page

mgmog

United Kingdom
467 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2012 :  14:34:49  Show Profile
if I remember from when I did mine:

info v100 from the dvla/online.
info stating import taxes/duty paid from the importer
and a statement showing car details from BMI Heritage trust, stating the car was manafactured in the uk on a certain date. ( Mr Clausager ) that cost 10 pounds in 1998. (edit: I presume this would be the MMM car club now? strange as my car was earlier than 53 - which is the year they now state online that they have records for MG )

send it all orf to the dvla and they send you back v5

Edited by - mgmog on 19/10/2012 15:33:05
Go to Top of Page

Allan Bentley

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2012 :  16:33:20  Show Profile
It was simple.
First make a visit to your friendly MOT and get the F Type tested. Warn them first however what you need from them. This is possible because the VOC? system allows the test station to use only the chassis number to register the car with the DVLA. You will find that within a day your car is on the DVLA register but with the chassis number in place of a reg number. This test is used to verify that the car exists and is road worthy.
With regard to the import papers which I understand Barry sorted, I don't think you will need them because the car will be certified as genuine by the MGCC with its build date and chassis number quoted. As it is an F type it will have a manufacture date in 1932, so there should be no VAT / import duty to pay and you can ignore that section on the application form. You will need weight, wheel base, etc to complete the form, which is a duplicate (carbon) format so cannot be downloaded. There are forms which are downloadable but these are for cars which have an identity such as old UK registration docs. The last car I registered was a TA which had lost its identity papers in 1968 when taken in as spares by the Bones. The car had been rebuilt in France but witout a UK reg V5 or V5c so could not be registered under EU / French rules. I France for example they demand that registration can only be done on the country of manufacture!
You are lucky that it is an early MG and that the club has most of the records. The DVLA will accep your car once the numbers are endorsed by a designated inspector by the club. Talk to Robin H about the process.
Once you have a V5C the car is safe for the foreseeable future and can be usedsimply re registered across the EU. With the ever changing rules from Brussels, new vehicle testing / pollution etc, the use of our type of car on the road is threatened, more so if it has no registration papers. A V5C is essential to protect your car against EU discrimination in the future.
I have a friend with a beautifully restored car from the 1920s which cannot be used on the roads in the UK because it cannot be registered here. The car has no chassis number(it was built from genuine parts on a new chassis). It appears that even if endorsed by the car club as a perfect replica using more than say 90% original parts, the DVLA will still not consider it for registration.
The problem is that the DVLA were tasked with changing the V5 in about 2006? to comply with EU commonality between member states vehicle registration document to make re-registration simple when moving across borders. It is the V5C you need and you are starting, like me, with an imported car 'sans papiers'.
Check out your local DVLA office and talk to them. My first approach was to go to the nearest office which I found covered most of North London with 4 only car park spaces and 120 people ahead of me when Igot in and found the forms to fill in! Nightmare. I went to Chelmsford about 60 mins away which had a new office, large car park and test bay and got all the help I needed in 10 mins. It was the same for the inspection two weeks later. I signed the petition not to close DVLA Regional Offices but that has not worked! The inspector knew exactly where to look for the numbers on a TA so was clearly sympathetic to our type of car.
Hope this helps.
Allan
Go to Top of Page

bloodysalmon

Spain
1482 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2012 :  10:18:23  Show Profile
Alan, you may have assumed it was MOt'd already, no such chance as still under restoration, never had one in UK ... this is one of those points, from 1st Nov you dont need an MOT in the process to get an active V5C. So I suspecting if no MOT, you can get a restoration car legally taxed if its insured and then on the road !!!

Go to Top of Page

Allan Bentley

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2012 :  11:46:56  Show Profile

Hello again. I had assumed the F Type was on the road but on other plates which is legal for 6-12 months.
My guess is that in the future when they close the regional offices and there is no inspection process this will delegated to the MOT stations which is in faqct what happens now only is backed up by the regional office inspection which is not really necessary if DVLA trust the MOT technician. May be simpler in the future.
In France i have registered 3 cars the system is as described above. The car is presented for test using either its chassis number or the plates from which it was exported to get into the system. In the past this was the only test for historic cars but limited use to within adjoining departments unless you filed an application for use outside the area. Top heavy typical French paperwork system. From 2008 all historic/classic cars have to have a MOT at least every 2, 3, or 5 years depending on the age of the vehicle but can now be driven anywhere in Europe.
Looks as if the UK system may be simpler in the future. More in line with the French method, which puts the responsibility for verification on the test station supported by a club/association which provides the registration authority with a certificate of conformity needed if the manufacturer no longer exists. I registered my C Type the PA and an MGB which this way with now no restrictions on use.
Perhap you should ask the the DVLA at Swansea what will be the process in the future if you can find the phone number of the special office they have hidden away. The main number will put you through to a local office who very likely will be a bit relutant to say anything as they have just all lost their jobs! Use the argument that you do not want to restore a car for your use which you cannot use on the road. I used this point and the gates opened! I am certain there may be other members restoring or about to restore cars with no papers who have not yet considered this point, so your question is I think very valid and need an official answer.
Allan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000