Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 4 Seater P Type Petrol Tank
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pauly45

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2012 :  20:29:10  Show Profile
Hello,

I was looking at my slightly holy petrol tank for the 4 seater P today and realised that in the top was a large hole that appears to have possibly once held a electric fuel level sender.

I wondered if this actually was what this hole was for.

If it was, then was it attached to an electric fuel level guage, and where was the guage located ?

If not, then as the tank is buried behind the rear seat, then how did you tell what the fuel level was ?

Many thanks
Paul.

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2012 :  20:48:47  Show Profile
Hi Paul

I believe the 4 seat P type petrol tank is the same as used on the 2 and 4 seat N types. The tanks usually have both the narrow brackets to fit the P type chassis and the wider spaced ones for the N types.

My NB petrol tank has a sender unit on the near side and this is connected to the petrol gauge on the dash. I used to own a 4 seat PB but cannot recall if it had a petrol gauge!

Regards

George
L2023 and NA0960
Nr Buckingham, UK
Go to Top of Page

gsrun

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2012 :  23:11:31  Show Profile
Michael Beakhouse at Sports Car Metalworks (01753 654144) makes many MMM parts including petrol tanks and I think can also make to a pattern anything which is outwith his normal range. I have purchased two of his tanks (J & T types) in recent years and both have been very well made items.
Graham R.
Go to Top of Page

pauly45

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2012 :  07:59:24  Show Profile
Yes Brian !

Thats the sender (or hole I have)

So, is that on an N or P ?

If a P, then where on the dash was the guage located ?

Regarding the old tank, I've contemplated two approaches.

1. Cut the flatest bottom portion out completely to allow me to sandblast internal and external and repair other holes. Then make a new bottom and weld in.

2. Remake. In it's simplest form and if you ignore the indents in the ends and sides, it's really only two flat ends with a small flange, and one large sheet formed around those ends. Add internal flat structures, fill pipe, sender ring and outlet bosses - one tank.
Yes, not totally original in appearance, but as it is competely hidden from view, does it matter ?

I think option 2 will be my route...
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2012 :  08:50:18  Show Profile
Hi Paul,

I have 2 very good N and P 4 seater tanks which I could sell one of them to you. I can also show you the sender unit and how you can fit an original or a modern one. Please contact me off line if you are interested..... Regards Terry A
Go to Top of Page

cardiffrob

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2012 :  09:33:03  Show Profile
If it helps, I made some Morris 8 Srs1 tanks maybe 20 years ago by carving a piece of wood and then bashing the steel into the indentations to form the flutes in the end caps, if you see what I mean. Would take less than a day to fabricate a new tank from scratch.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000