Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Safety Fast
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 :  13:03:34  Show Profile
I really enjoyed Simon Jonhston's article on J3437 in this months Safety Fast. Also good to put a face to a name of another forumist. Well done Simon.
Graham (PB0602)

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 :  13:27:56  Show Profile
I totally agree, an excellent piece and a great story.

J2 J3666 & J3 3764
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 :  15:26:55  Show Profile
Thank you chaps
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 :  17:43:29  Show Profile
Here, here...

have you spotted the L2 for sale in SF, complete with what looks like a half tonneau???

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 :  18:02:38  Show Profile
Thanks, Peter. I'd missed that advertisement as I'm abroad and just scanned SF online. But I'll certainly follow up with the vendor as, while the tonneau cover isn't remotely like the one originally on my J2, it would be good to know if it is the original one.

Simon
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2012 :  00:41:00  Show Profile
it's a top j2 exactly like my dads j2 if you park them together you wouldn't know who's is who's apart from yours having the big rev counter.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2012 :  09:01:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by greg

apart from yours having the big rev counter.

And the Russian MIG 29 clock!
Go to Top of Page

mike armstrong

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  22:14:53  Show Profile
Another J2 with a Russian MIG 29 clock is currently for sale in Safety Fast (blue). At least it had one (from the same source as Simon's (great article by the way)) when I rebuilt the car and sadly sold it a few years ago. Hope he gets his price!!
Mike
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2012 :  08:55:13  Show Profile
For anyone curious about the MIG 29 clock, here it is.

With its etched dial (like the J2 speedo) it looks just the part in the J2 dash I reckon and it's hard to believe that these clocks were actually fitted to MIG fighters in the 1980s! It's a two day mechanical clock with an hours and minutes elapsed time function (the small upper dial) and a minutes and seconds stop watch (the small lower dial) both of which are operated independently by the knobs on either side of the main dial (which also serve to wind the clock and adjust the time). It works extremely well as a rally clock with its various stop/start functions but it's probably best suited to cars without supercharger and with 8" brakes as it's only rated to Mach 3 and 6G

You can find these on fleaBay fairly easily these days but I bought mine (and the one Mike Armstrong was referring to) in the Russian market in Warsaw when we lived there in the early 90s (in Warsaw, that is, not in the Russian market!). As I recall I paid two million Polish zloty for each of them (about twenty quid in those days!).

EDIT: On reflection, I think it was one million zloty each, not two!

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 11/11/2012 12:07:08
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2012 :  09:53:35  Show Profile
Unfortunately the Russian Market is no longer. It was removed to make way for the football Stadium that was recently in the news ! Rich
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2012 :  10:26:04  Show Profile
Indeed Warsaw has changed a lot over the last twenty years and in fact the Russian market had more or less gone when I was last working there about eight years ago although the old stadium remained until it was demolished to make way for the new stadium for Euro 2012. But in its heyday it was a great source of all sorts of things, including it was said, Kalashnikov rifles!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000