Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Jaeger Le Coutre and Russian copy clocks
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2012 :  17:28:22  Show Profile
I have started a new thread from the one on Safety Fast in which Russian clocks are shown on a J2 dashboard.

These clocks are a copy of the Jaeger Le Coutre ones. I have examples of the 3 common types. These were used for military use and there is a 24 hour example which was used mainly in ships and can have a Bakelite case. The centre clock can be seen in Mike Allison’s book of the Jenson bodied K type. They were often seen on blower Bentleys. These clocks now command high prices. See below.

This clock is a more modern Jaeger Le Coutre and is more like the one the Russians copied in the 1960 – 1970’s. See below

The Russian clocks come in many forms. Some have deep cases and have a heater within them. The thinner ones I understand are from helicopters.

Below are 4 Russian clocks which I have had changed to look like the middle original Jaeger Le Coutre in the picture above.

On the left is a deep case clock and the bottom stop watch for 60 minutes with a small second hand. The large sweep red second hand has a different function this clock to the others.

The second left is a deep case clock with bottom stop watch for 30 minutes and the large sweep red second hand is for this function.

Third on the left is a shallow case with the bottom stop watch for 60 minutes but it runs in anti clockwise direction. The red second hand works with this function.

Forth on the left is a shallow case the same as the third one but with a different font dial.

I could not use a Russian clock in one of my cars without changing the dial to match the other instruments.

Regards…… Terry A

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2012 :  17:52:21  Show Profile
My goodness, Terry, you do have quite a collection there. To be honest, I'm not a great stickler for originality and sometimes the sentimental or the personal connection is more important for me. I was tempted to ask Patrick Henry to paint out the Russian script on my clock but then I thought, why bother? I've had the clock for twenty years in anticipation of fitting it to my J2 so it's part of my personal history of the car. And is it any more 'honest' (and I don't mean that pejoratively) to change the dial to match the rest of the dashboard than to keep a non original instrument that has some personal connection?

And re the heater, mine has the 27V heater but I've concluded that I'm not likely to need it so haven't bother trying to work out how to power it. But I can well imagine the need for it. Even at ground level the temperatures in Warsaw would drop to -30 C overnight, so goodness knows how cold it could get in a MIG at high altitude!!

And here's a picture of the clock installed in a MIG!

But when all's said and done, it looks the part, has a personal connection, but more importantly is blxxdy useful when rallying!

EDIT: I mentioned in the 'Safety Fast' thread that the clocks were good for mach 3 and 6G - they're also rated to 30,000 metres!!!!

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 11/11/2012 17:56:14
Go to Top of Page

MGB

Netherlands
114 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2012 :  11:02:59  Show Profile
"And here's a picture of the clock installed in a MIG!"

How many of us have read "And here's a picture of the clock installed in a MG?"

"the clocks were good for mach 3 and 6G - they're also rated to 30,000 metres!!!!" That will be enough for a J2. :-))

http://www.dioncre.nl/Algje/index.html
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2012 :  11:58:09  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MGB

"And here's a picture of the clock installed in a MIG!"

How many of us have read "And here's a picture of the clock installed in a MG?"

Indeed, I never thought of that!
quote:
Originally posted by MGB
"the clocks were good for mach 3 and 6G - they're also rated to 30,000 metres!!!!" That will be enough for a J2. :-))

But only just - that's why I said unblown and 8" brakes only
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000