Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 tool question
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mgtommm

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 :  21:41:35  Show Profile
Hi MMM Groupies,

Maybe a silly question, but has anybody ever found a solution to the puzzle of fitting the tools into the tool roll so's the thing actually rolls up nicely?

Photos welcome!!

tommm in sunny oHIo

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 :  22:40:20  Show Profile
Tomm, I have complete sets of tools for my TC and prewar cars. They fit quite well in the split leather rolls that I have also had made. The jack is separate and the handles are held in the folds of the tool roll. Considering that the tools were supplied with the car when new, I consider them to be just as important an item as anything else on the car! There are illustrations in the various hand books. Australian-assembled cars (such as MGA's) did not have such an extensive toolkit as Abingdon cars did.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2012 :  08:59:37  Show Profile
Hiya Buckeye Tommm,

Here's a picture of my tool roll and while I don't have one of it rolled up, it does in fact roll up very neatly.

Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2012 :  12:43:25  Show Profile
We might term these 'Ornamental Tools', collected for completeness' sake and part of the car. I have a similar collection.

Where to put any roll in the 2-seater is a good question.

What do MMM owners now carry in the 'Working Tools' roll with the car for roadside use?

Mine are more modern equivalents of the above; the working jack is a hydraulic one, and so on. The Ornamental roll remains in the workshop.

The Austin Seven tool-kit likewise is difficult to fit in the original roll.

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2012 :  12:54:30  Show Profile
This ain't no ornamental tool roll, Bob - it's the real thing! This is what I carry in the J2, tucked down behind the seat. Now perhaps if I was going on the long anticipated continental tour my good lady and I have often dreamed of, I might substitute a few other items for one or two of those in the roll, but for ordinary day to day use I reckon it fits the bill. For a jack, I use a Lake and Elliot screw one. An hydraulic one might be handier, but I'm not minded to go hunt for one as I've found the screw jack perfectly adequate. Of course YMMV!
Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2012 :  13:17:47  Show Profile
Nicely done, Simon !! Mind if I pilfer that layout??

tommm (with ornamental tools like Bob)
Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2012 :  13:21:19  Show Profile
Well done and very simple, Simon!!

Nice pic. Mind if I pilfer that layout?

tommm (with spiffy ornamental tools)
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2012 :  13:27:58  Show Profile
Please do, tommm. I should add that the strange adjustable spanner on the right hand side has nothing whatsoever to do with MGs. It's a Swedish NIC Tool, marked Eskilstuna (where it was made) and was given to me by that great MMMer in the US, the late Jerry Keuper. So it's there for sentimental reasons and not originality, or even ornamentation.
Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2012 :  15:02:07  Show Profile
Odd, neither response went through, then both showed up an hour later (hence 2 similar replies).

Jerry was the source of my NB, which we dragged out of a shed along the Atlantic beach, in extremely derelict form. Neat, neat guy. Sad, sad car.

tommm in sunny oHIo with a great weather forecast ahead....
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2012 :  16:42:06  Show Profile
Ah yes, the infamous Keuper 'sheds'! Jerry had five of them as I recall, hidden under the palm trees in his garden so as not to attract the attention of the local planning guys in Melbourne Beach! One for the J2, one for the PA, one for the NB, one for the L1 and one for the TD he'd had since the early 50s. His daughter still has the TD but the MMM cars were all sold. Did you buy the NB from Jerry before he died? I can't recall whether he told me that he had sold it but last time I saw it it was what one could only describe as a 'courageous' restoration project!. But glad to hear it's in good hands.
Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2012 :  17:37:37  Show Profile
Simon,

You remember correctly. Jerry was also into various palm tree species and planted them profusely around his beach house and as camouflage around his MG huts.

The NB was a fun project and came out looking like this thanks in no small part to all the good MMM friends in Merrie Olde:

I also bought an F-Type frame from Jerry in the early 90's which turned out to be a Jarvis (built an F2 out of it) but the sad NB remains were purchased from Jerry's son & daughter shortly after his passing.

tommm in oHIo where the sun is still shining
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2012 :  17:43:48  Show Profile
Wow, tommm, that looks fantastic. Has Jerry's daughter seen how it turned out? If not, I'll send her the photo if you don't mind.
Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2012 :  18:30:35  Show Profile
Simon,

Melanie has seen photographs. The car was invited to Amelia island Concours March 2011 (won its pre-war sports car class) and I was hoping Melanie could come up to see it but I believe she was busy that weekend.

tommm
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2012 :  18:46:49  Show Profile
I'm glad Melanie has seen photos, tommm. We visited her last year and as I said she still has the TD. I've many happy memories of my time at FIT when I were but a lad! But back to the tool roll, despite Bob's view that using original type tools makes them more ornamental than practical, I reckon that a spanner's a spanner and certainly on this side of the pond it's relatively easy to pick up what you need on fleaBay. I think it took me about 6 weeks or so to assemble what you see in the photo (apart from the NIC Tool and the cylinder head spanner which was also a present). And the double ended spanners, the adjustable spanner, the pliers and the two larger screwdrivers are all Shelley ones. The trick is trying to work out whether a given spanner is a contemporary 1930s one or a more modern one and in fact I've nearly completed an article for the December Bulletin on that very topic. Watch this space!
Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2012 :  19:39:54  Show Profile
Simon,

Should there not be a ball peen hammer in the kit? I have a good supply of tools from the many trips to Silverstone and Beaulieu and memories of very heavy luggage.

Son #2 in the photo driving the NB almost went to FIT but changed his mind at the last minute. Great school, thanks to Jerry's fore-site.

tommm
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2012 :  04:58:38  Show Profile
tommm,

I'm thousands of miles from my J2 at the moment but my recollection is that the items listed for the tool kit in both the parts list and the Instruction Manual did not include a ball peen/pein hammer. Nor are there any tyre levers specified!

Go, Panthers!

Simon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000