Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Motoring Log Book
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gsrun

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2012 :  11:28:06  Show Profile
A friend has recently come across his late father's leather covered 'Motoring Log Book' containing the early history of his first two cars - both of which appear to be M Types. Their details are listed as - (1) Ch. No. 2/M 730, Eng. 362A, Reg. HS 5857 and
(2) Ch. No. 2/M 1906, Eng. MG1656A, Reg. GG 3160. Both were originally purchased by Mr A.B.Jarvie, and the log contains details of fuel, servicing, repairs etc.
Is either car known to the Register and if so, perhaps the current owner might be interested to be put in touch with the original owner's son?

Graham R.
(J2598)

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2012 :  12:10:47  Show Profile
Hi Graham

Neither car is known to exist I'm afraid. Certainly not from the current register database. Sorry to bear disappointing news.

Regards

Robin

J2 J3666 & J3 3764
Go to Top of Page

gsrun

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2012 :  13:14:35  Show Profile
Hi Robin
Many thanks for your speedy investigation and reply! Sorry to hear that both cars appear to have vanished - I will pass on the info to my friend.
Regards
Graham R.

Edited by - gsrun on 14/11/2012 15:13:50
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2012 :  17:59:50  Show Profile
Hello Graham,
From my M type records, 2M 0730 is correct for its engine and has a build date of 18.9.29 and was one of the last Oxford cars built. Good to put the registration number to the chassis!
However, according to my records, and a Register that Ashley Strachan did in 2000, 2M 1906 was built 24.6.30 and should have the registration number GG 3361, and was at "The Knoll, Arnwood Drive, Glasgow" in 1933.
The engine number, MG 1656A, ties in with the factory records, and was on the Triple M register at one time as known but had register number, "so appears to have gone to ground"!
Was Mr. Jarvie at The Knoll?
Any comments greatly appreciated.

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

gsrun

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2012 :  10:18:31  Show Profile
Hi Mike

Just spoken to Mike Jarvie and he (unfortunately) is certain that the address you mention was never that of his late father.
Many thanks for your investigations, however, and it is interesting that the address is no distance from the site of a former garage (Western Motor Co. I think) where Mike recalls that the salesman (a Mr Hodge) may have sold his dad a car. Perhaps it was first registered to the salesman (who lived near his work)?

Regards

Graham
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000