Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 NE driver and location?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2012 :  10:59:12  Show Profile
I have attached a photo of NA0516 which is one of the two NE's that came to Australia before the war but I am having trouble figuring out the driver and location/race. I can not find #12 as a racing number in Australia and was wondering if the photo was taken before the car left England in 1938. Pre war owners included Z.Klika who competed in a 1,000 mile race in Prague 1935 and M.C.Gooding of South Croydon. Does anyone have full names and any other background information for Klika and Gooding?
Any help appreciated.

Matthew Magilton.

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2012 :  11:15:45  Show Profile
Hi Matthew

Thsi picture appears in the Historical pictures section of the website:

http://www.triple-mregister.org/picturearchive2.asp

The driver is listed as John Barraclough but there is no further detail about location and/or date.

Regards

Robin

J2 J3666
Go to Top of Page

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2012 :  11:56:37  Show Profile
Thank you Robin, although I am starting to doubt that Barraclough is actually the driver. Frankly nothing in the photo is recognisably Australian to me. I have a small collection of images of John Barraclough and none of them show him looking quite so ninja-ish.

Matthew.
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2012 :  22:49:24  Show Profile
John Barraclough . Now was he an Australian or an Englishman ?. The reason I ask is that many years ago I was at a Vintage Motorcycle Club meeting here in Stockport and a John Barraclough was there also. He was very knowledgeable about vintage 'bikes but , more significantly was the sometime owner of K3018 , BPD 403. I think he sold the K3 to Malcolm Brydson in the 60's or 70's & Malcolm sold it to Syd Beer (now owned by son Malcolm Beer ).
Now, is he the same John B. in an NE in Australia , I wonder ?.
Go to Top of Page

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2012 :  08:02:21  Show Profile
John Askham Barraclough was born in 1916 in Sydney, Australia. I have a copy of his autobiography "When I Grow Up" (which is a very entertaining read if you have the opportunity). He mentions his visit to England in the 1950's and becoming a member of the BRDC, although the purchase of K3018 is not mentioned I would still think he did own it at some stage. He rates a brief mention in "K3 Dossier" by Mike Hawke under K3018. He was also competing in K3030 in Australia in 1949 and 1950 when this car was then owned by Lex Davidson.

Matthew.
Go to Top of Page

Enfield Allday

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  12:04:50  Show Profile
The entry in K3 Dossier for K3018 is mis-spelt. The name quoted should read J D Barrowclough,resident in Yorks. UK as I recall.
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  23:20:08  Show Profile
Matthew, John Barraclough ended up living in Aldinga, South Australia and passed away some years ago. He was a neighbour of an MG friend of ours and our friend's wife, who had earlier won a literary prize, helped him write the book. I have been told that Lex Davison was too tall to fit in the NE and got Barraclough to drive it for him. I understand that Barraclough kept his pilot's licence and sometimes flew from the nearby Aldinga airfield.
Go to Top of Page

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  02:35:08  Show Profile
Thank you Barry. He sounds like one of those larger-than-life characters.

Enfield; so you can confirm please that Barrowclough owned K3018?

Cheers,
Matthew.
Go to Top of Page

Enfield Allday

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 :  15:23:30  Show Profile
Mathew, I spoke to J D Barrowclough of Heyside Royton Lancs UK in prob. early 8o's and he told me he bought K3018 in 1957 & sold it in early 60's No known history of car racing in UK before sale to Australia.Green in UK. I remember meeting your Father(?), Wally when I lived in Gatehouse St., Parkville, Melbourne in 1964, the street where the VSCC of A had their clubhouse. I presume you have no special interest in K3018 per se, but if you do need info. on this K3, please ask..
Go to Top of Page

Enfield Allday

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 :  15:28:45  Show Profile
Words in my post "car racing in UK" refer to NA0516, of course!
Go to Top of Page

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2012 :  05:07:58  Show Profile
Thank you for that Enfield. Dad was just getting the information together to help start the Pre War register in Melbourne back then. Did you have a Pre War MG in Melbourne? The VSCC of Victoria still meet in the former stable house in Gatehouse St, you would probably find that nothing has changed since you were last there. Did you mean K3018's sale to Australia??

Matthew.
Go to Top of Page

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2012 :  00:33:51  Show Profile
Footnote: I managed to find the grandson of M.Gooding on a genealogy website and have exchanged several emails with him. Seems that as well as owning the NE Montague Gooding also owned a 14/28 'ducks back' salonette and I have passed this info to the vintage register. Mr and Mrs Gooding used the NE at a few track days at Brooklands, but no photos to be found unfortunately.

Matthew.
Go to Top of Page

na0518

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2012 :  00:16:56  Show Profile
In my emails with the Gooding grandson, he reported that his mother - the Gooding's daughter - told the family that it was she who was clocked at over 100mph at Brooklands in NA 0516. And she would have been about 20 years of age at that time (mid-1935 after the car returned from Prague thru early 1939 when the car was exported to Australia). Does any body have access to Brooklands or BARC archives that might verify this??

Pete

Pete Thelander
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2012 :  10:32:00  Show Profile
Pete,

The best person to contact is Tony Hutchings who is the hard working and diligent archivist of both The Brooklands Socety and The Brooklands Museum. I have his postal address but not an e-mail address but if you do a search on "The Brooklands Museum", you should find a Contact page.

I don't doubt that the 100mph claim is true. After all, Doreen Evans who was much the same age, rarely did less than 100 mph in a variety of MMM cars. The team of NEs which competed in the 1934 LCC Relay Race, which included Doreen as a driver, put up a race average of nearly 88 mph and finished in third place overall in the pouring rain.

Colin B.

Edited by - Colin Butchers on 15/11/2012 10:33:49
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2012 :  19:15:28  Show Profile
Z Klika's full name was Zden#283;k Klika and he was the MG agent in Prague. He had studied engineering and after becoming the Czech agent for both AJS and Norton he later expanded into cars:

http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?showtopic=153747&view=findpost&p=5265231

The class winners of the 1000 mil #269;eskoslovenských (a sort of Czech Mille Miglia) can be found here - but it was in 1933, not 1935:

http://wsrp.ic.cz/prewar1933.html#10

Some Czech newspapers are now available online, so more info may be obtainable.

[ps It appears the board software cannot cope with Czech diacrytics! ]

Edited by - Vitesse on 17/11/2012 19:19:27
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000