Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Not MMM but....
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

taterry

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2012 :  03:21:10  Show Profile
The information I have is that there was a TA in the '36 Monaco GP, and three TA's in the German GP in '39. All were boat/pointed tail racers. Apparently one of the German cars in the pictures even has a swastika on the tail.

Would anyone have info on this?
Terry

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2012 :  09:45:20  Show Profile
I have a couple of small books on these races which list starters and finishers - no MGs, I'm afraid... There is the possibility that races were run in parallel, but no similar cars appear in the (few and small) pictures.

The thought of being lapped (as you would surely be!) by one of the Mercs or Auto Unions is really quite terrifying!

I have found a reference to a preliminary event at Monaco for 1500cc cars, predecessor to the modern F3 race. This seems a rather more appropriate event for an MG, though again they would surely be outgunned by ERAs, Maseratis and the like?

Graham

"I'd rather be happy than right anyday" Slartybartfast, Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Edited by - MaGic_GV on 03/12/2012 11:46:45
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1045 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2012 :  21:37:09  Show Profile
Considering the years A Q of R would be a better choice.

Why would you race a T when a faster equivalent was available?

Onno "D" Könemann

Edited by - Onno on 30/11/2012 21:37:38
Go to Top of Page

ht1962

Netherlands
114 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  15:04:16  Show Profile
Hi Onno,

Would money be a good enough reason.........
Remember that propper race cars built by MG were by no means cheap....

Halbe
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1045 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  17:15:24  Show Profile
But if you had the budget to go racing (never a cheap hobby)a second hand Q or R still seems like my best bet.
Better that buying a new TA ditching the body and having a pointed tail body built....

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

ht1962

Netherlands
114 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  21:41:00  Show Profile
But if you had the budget to go racing (never a cheap hobby)a second hand C or J still seems like my best bet.
Better than buying a secondhand D, ditching the body and having a pointed tail body built....

Halbe ( Lemans mk2) Tjepkema
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1045 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  21:55:08  Show Profile
Not having anything built.
Strictly DIY job here.

But if a Q or R where available for even double my outlay now I'd go for it.
Sadly this is not the case.
But for that we have an other topic

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

taterry

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  16:31:38  Show Profile
Here is some info from my German MG friend, Terry,

concerning the three TAs in the German Grand Prix 1939 I assume that these are the MGs prepared by "Renngemeinschaft Offenburg" ("Racing team Offenburg"), a team around Heinz Mölders. Heinz Mölders ran an OPEL branch in Offenburg and has big knowledge in power tuning. He bought his first MG in 1937, improved it very much concerning engine (reached around 100 hp) and suspension and created a new aluminum body for the MG TA.

He was quite successful in racing and founded the "Renngemeinschaft Offenburg" with Mölders, Dr. Artur Wiswedel and Dr. Rolf Spindler. Later on, Mölders prepared another MG TA for Roland Oskar Mall. There are some other names in connection with the "Renngemeinschaft", Walter Assenheimer with an Mölders prepared MG and Walter Nürnberger with an MG TA as well.

Mölders became quite famous in the MG scene. Cecil Kimber visited him to learn about the improvements Mölders made to the MG TA engine.

I have attached some photos as a ZIP file, all from "Aus Liebe zum Sportwagen" from Hagen Nyncke.

If you need some information, let me know.

Yours,

Andreas

Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2012 :  20:42:57  Show Profile
The German GP of 1939 was run for cars conforming to the International Formula, so a TA - or any MG - would not have been eligible. There were no other races that day. However, the Eifelrennen meeting - run on the Nürburgring on May 21st 1939 - did feature a sports car race. Most of the entries were of course BMWs, but the Offenburg MGs were also in the field. This race was part of the first German Sports Car Championship: http://wsrp.ic.cz/gerscc1939.html Apart from the GP and Eifelrennen, the three circuit races in that championship - all for sports cars - were the only other race meetings held in Germany in 1939. A fourth, at Hockenheim in October, was cancelled for obvious reasons!

The only non-Formula race held at Monaco was the 1936 Coupe de Prince Rainier. The sole MG present was Bobby Kohlrausch's C-type. He crashed on the warm-up lap and so failed to start.

http://www.formula2.net/V1936-02.htm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000