Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Superb model engineering; NOT Triple M
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  21:56:04  Show Profile
I hesitate to post this in case memory fails & I've already done so; a search suggests not!

As said, this is nothing to do with Triple M or even cars, but I defy anyone with an interest in old cars to say that they are not fascinated by it! What is it? Well as a taster this is the propellor reduction gear setup of a model Rolls Royce Eagle aero engine

If that whets your appetite, go to;

http://www.enginehistory.org/ModelEngines/eagle_22.shtml for a fantastic selection of photos of the construction of this masterpiece.

The page is in fact from the site of the Aircraft Engine Historical Society, http://www.enginehistory.org/ which some of you may also find interesting.

Cheers,

Dave

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  11:31:23  Show Profile
What an amazing piece of engineering - there must have been a fair amount of time spent making patterns and then castings before machining.

Makes rebuilding a Triple-M car seem easy!

George
L2023 and NA0960
Nr Buckingham
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  12:28:34  Show Profile
This 1/5th scale engine was made by Barry Hares, and before that he made a 1/5th scale Merlin, fully operational. It won a Gold Medal at the 1982 Model Engineer Exhibition. Barry gave a talk about building it at our ME society, and also ran the engine - impressive.
A point to note is that it is all manually (no CNC) machined from the solid, using XYZ coordinates...no patterns or castings.

Though the topic might not be Triple-M, there is a tenuous link - the Merlin also has single cam finger follower valve gear which can suffer from scuffing of the rockers. Lubrication work by Shell in the 1980s, developed further by attention to the geometry of the cam and the rocker in the 1990s solved this problem.

John R
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  14:52:39  Show Profile
I take it John you're refering to Merlin rockers & not Triple M ones? Seems amazing that after the Merlin's life's work was done, all this research should be done really for the benefit only of the warbird fraternity.

Dave
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000