Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Haynes Museum
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2012 :  21:45:08  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by JMH

Peter,
If I recall, your car was discussed on here about 18 months ago when it was advertised for sale on the web. There was slight suggestion that the body was macevoy (discounted I think). More than one of us wondered about that petrol tank & how it was attached, thank's for revealing all!

JH

Peter,

Here's the link to the earlier posting that Jeremy referred to.

http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=4817&SearchTerms=brian

Brian.
Go to Top of Page

PeterN

United Kingdom
240 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2012 :  21:55:29  Show Profile
Thanks for that Brian.
Allan, are you going to upload the picture of your father in his car for us?

Peter
1930 M type MG 748
2M/1506
Go to Top of Page

Allan Bentley

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2012 :  10:09:12  Show Profile
Peter.
Here is the photo of my father in his new M Type. I believe this was taken in 1931 after he had completed an apprenticeship in the drawing office of Hawker Aircraft under Sydney Camm. The M type was transport to De Havillands where he worked with Halford on aero engine design. In parallel he also worked for his uncle HM Bentley, W O's elder brother, delivering second hand Bentleys around London. He had a photo of the Walter Hassan Bentley on his desk for years which he also worked on.
Later photos show his Ford and Alvis cars so I don't think the MG lasted long.
He formed his own company in 1935 making aircraft controls and developed with De Havilland the control system for the constant speed propellers for the Merlin engines. Although developed and flight tested in 1938, the ministry did not formally order them until the beginning of the Battle of Britain. The Hurricaines flown in France had two pitch props and were out performed by the ME 109 with constant speed so it was a necessity but the ministry were blind to innovation!
Luck was that DH and Teleflex had already made all the key parts for 1000 sets by 1938 and they were in store. When the call came at the beginning of the Battle, industry as if by magic produced the conversion kit overnight. The two speed props were converted
'between sorties' to variable pitch by teams from both companies.
Geoffrey De Havilland stated later that they were never paid for these kits, so disorganised were the MAP at the time!
Allan

Go to Top of Page

Allan Bentley

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2012 :  10:11:03  Show Profile
Yes I did have trouble with attaching the the photo. Why 3 times?
Allan
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2012 :  10:49:19  Show Profile
Interesting bit of history Allan. I think this was mentioned in First Light recently published and written by the youngest pilot in the Battle of Britain (forgotten his name but a superb read...). This conversion was essential for the spitfires flown into Malta from HMS Furious... during Operation Pedestal?

Thanks for that.

P
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3374 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2012 :  13:03:45  Show Profile
Allan
Tidied up your post. Please email me off-line and tell me what happened. I am working on the image posting software and want to make sure this is not a glitch.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

graham4233

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2012 :  13:39:20  Show Profile
First Light was written by Geoffrey Wellum and I confirm that it is a cracking read.
Go to Top of Page

PeterN

United Kingdom
240 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2012 :  18:50:33  Show Profile
Allan, great picture, thanks for that.As you mentioned, Father does look as though he's wearing it rather than sitting in it. Chromed sidelights and paint/chrome headlamps. Useful for me as my headlamps are unpainted and unchromed, as is the radiator. Sidelights are painted black.

Peter
1930 M type MG 748
2M/1506
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000