Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG J4/J5 & K3 Sales Brochure
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mg251

United Kingdom
198 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2012 :  16:14:20  Show Profile
I have just bought this rather unusual sales brochure and thought it may be of interest to MMM members. Its A4 size and contains 8 pages. It has been folded at some point and is a little fragile but it must be a rare survivor?

Dan F

USA
845 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2012 :  16:57:08  Show Profile
Nice find !
Thanks for sharing,
Dan
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2012 :  20:35:05  Show Profile
What an interesting find. If you look on the front cover, there is also reference to the scheduled elusive J5 Midget that never hit production

Regards

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2012 :  20:44:48  Show Profile
This is awesome what else does it say about the J5? Why didn't the J5 go into production. Were there any other mmm mg's that were designed and didn't go into production?
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2012 :  20:52:59  Show Profile
Interesting Deco/Modern influence in the cover with the sans serif typefaces. The MG logo looks handcrafted as the M and G don't seem to be stretched to fill the octagon width.
Unique in a number of subtle ways. If you want to do an "as new" copy, I could Photoshop that gunge out of the way.
A nice, balanced bit of design. Lovely gutsy car front view.
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2012 :  21:00:15  Show Profile
Another question what would the j5 been built for eg a competition car or built commercially for the public to buy like a j2?
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2012 :  21:12:57  Show Profile
Hi Greg. The J5 appeared to be tailored for a racing cc class. Supercharging was an idea that would "give it wings." That seems to wipe out my knowledge of the beast. So I'll hand you over to those who can wax long and lyrical!

Edited by - spitfire on 14/12/2012 21:13:37
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2012 :  22:54:34  Show Profile
Foz is our historian and I know he knows of the J5 as he mentioned it to me 18 years ago. Over to you Barry to enlighten us all!

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2012 :  18:56:18  Show Profile
Is it true that the j4 was too fast and not many people could handle them easily back in the day that was why the j5 was introduced with no supercharger.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2012 :  21:46:00  Show Profile

As far as I know Greg, it was proposed that the J5 would be an unblown 750cc and was an attempt to keep in the same race category with similar sized blown cars and whilst it would certainly not be one of the fastest, reliability on the track over blown cars (which often saw mechanical failures on the track) may just see it over the line before others. The reliability for blown cars quickly improved however rendering the J5 idea obsolete.

I don't think it would have been a particularly nice driving experience having to rev the unblown engine that hard to get the power required and I very much suspect a well tuned unblown 850cc J type would prove the far better all round proposition.

As for the J4's performance, the car was generally considered to be too fast by the end of its development. The car was already using the new brakes developed for the P type. In addition, the engine had its weaknesses too what with the two bearing crank and small base circle cam. The J type had been developed as far as it would safely go and it was time to move on.

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 15/12/2012 21:55:36
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2012 :  14:25:31  Show Profile
I was sitting next to a fellow at our local MGOC festive meal last night. He has trialled/raced his cars ever since his twenties. One car he owned was a 1930s Aston. It was a very heavy to handle car. Predominantly a Porsche man, we talked about, even one marque could breed quite different/difficult handling cars. I've always felt that MG produced a nice, light, predictable car. From my J2 to the MGA and B, the balance and response worked well within the national speed limit.
I suppose Barry Foz and the late Mike Hawke would be the people to school you on enjoying a J at it's limit!

Edited by - spitfire on 16/12/2012 14:26:00
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
769 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2012 :  10:37:01  Show Profile
Class H 501cc to 750cc capacity was the territory of the C/J4/Q/R Midgets and the A7's......different regs for different events made the use of a s/charger something to consider...... 1931 12/12 all the C types ran unsupercharged....and when EX130 (AB head ...later the J head) was designed the factory also produced carburrettor manifolds..... a single carb version that took the original big C type carb and a twin carb version to continue the option to blow or not. When I can the C unblown using twin 1 1/4" carbs ( now on Hamish's P type) it would rev off the top and start the needle going round again...but the cam followers didnt last long! Racing against Mike Hawke in his J2 showed the difference between 750 and 850 cc engines. His acceleration was better from starts and out of corners but my top speed was higher...so it was cat and mouse all the way with (at Silverstone Club) at least two position changes each lap....great fun!
So The J5 would have replicated a late version unblown C engine but in a less well handling car and at a greater cost than buying a s/h C-type.
And it still goes on.....David Downes has raced his J with or without the blower to choose which Triple-M class he races in.
Foz
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2012 :  11:00:17  Show Profile
You all called it "Pot Hunting" last time this conversation came up !!!! (it works sometimes)

Regards
David D

Edited by - Dow on 18/12/2012 11:01:23
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2012 :  14:35:38  Show Profile
Hi Greg. If you can ever get to see Foz racing in earnest
(against David?!)on a "pot hunt" DO IT!
"Scalded cats" comes to mind. These engines worked hard and probably outstripped the generated heat against oil technology balance.
No need to merely imagine. These little cars still jockey for The Honours.

Edited by - spitfire on 18/12/2012 17:41:18
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000