Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Hello
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2012 :  11:10:39  Show Profile
Thanks George,

I will follow your leads. The car has been ' lost ' for over 40 years apparently so any information will be great.

Merry Christmas,

Chris
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2012 :  11:23:10  Show Profile
Thanks I look forward to some Christmas reading.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2012 :  11:35:27  Show Profile
J2353 is in the 1982 Register.
Engine 928AJ
MMM no. 140
No owner listed
It's also in the Silver Jubilee Register as being owned by MJ Bird

Edited by - tonym on 20/12/2012 11:36:46
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2012 :  12:05:13  Show Profile
Thanks Tony, Its really getting interesting.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2012 :  12:42:08  Show Profile
Hi Chris

J2 2353 was indeed built on 8th October 1932, and was delivered to Jarvis and sons on 21/10/32. It was sold to 1st owner L H Muskett on 25/1/33 registration number APB 560. It's original colour was grey and engine number 928AJ.

I'm keen to assist you with history further and ask if you could please contact me at robin.hamblett@gmail.com so I can send you a register update request form. The car is known to the register, number 140 but has not been heard of for some considerable time. Last known owner was M J Bird in 1967 but was thought to have been in Cyprus.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Robin

J2 J3666 & J3 3764
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2012 :  14:52:25  Show Profile
Welcome MG Maverick

I guess this is the J2 currently in Cyprus???

Regards

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2012 :  06:18:00  Show Profile
Hi Rich,

Yes it is.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2012 :  06:28:59  Show Profile
Just out of interest, attached photos of my Rover 10hp 1934 bodyshell restoration which I completed yesturday. This has been over a years work with meticulous attention to detail, hand making of many panels and the cutting, welding , grinding back etc that this entails. Some of the panels had complex shapes which meant a few attempts before I got it right. My new J2 will be given the same dedication...I am looking forward to it.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2012 :  11:26:57  Show Profile
Plenty of projects. How versed are you with wooden frameworks?
As I've added to another Magnette post... Henry W Allingham, who designed the dishy (but of the time abortive Airline)cars...
Also was involved with the Rover 6 Drophead (By Allingham Design, 10 Stratford place, london NW1)Early 1930s.
In 1934 he formed Vehicle Developments with AMBI Budd, Berlin, Germany.
This company introduced the ALL STEEL car production to Germany.
As you are a man much involved with pre war automotive metal forms- Do any of these names mean anything through your Rover roots?

Through reading up on Cecil Kimber's life and thoughts as a speaker and designer..
I think he was firmly wooed over by the German Concept of where the motor car was going.
Look at the cherished Old No.1- (Registered 27/3/1925)
Is this not, in concept, pretty much the Rumpler Tropfenwagen. The radical, aerodynamic talk of the 1921 Berlin Auto Show... sans roof?
Kimber's cars had to be aerodynamic in form.
Yet he and Hubert Charles knew these were not airborne forms but had an integrity with the ground on which they sped.
The R type, with its sophisticated suspension, if the will was there,would have been produced and would be a present day star of auction houses.

His cars were cutting edge, to the point that MG had to be "subsidised" by "lesser" cars of the Nuffield Empire.
Where did his record breaking car go?
Germany. Much to it's pilot's disgust.

Cecil Kimber was not Avant Garde but Realised that a synergy of technology, the liberation of speed, harnessing a petrol engine ...Was "of his generation" AND CECIL "was of his time."
The sculpted, elegant forms of the Art Deco morphing into the Modernity of the Bauhaus and De Stijl.Zeppelins still carried passengers across the globe, yet the first streamlined, metal aircraft were taking to the skies.I think the political storm clouds, post 1936 regarding Nazi Germany, caught many of those "wanting to make great strides forward" as "too radical."

Kimber was "sacked" by Miles Thomas.
Who just happened to have understood the potential of the massive American market AND THEIR LOVE OF THE LITTLE MG.
I think Kimber's wings were due for something of a clipping.

The comaraderie with the German racing scene may have been at odds with Nuffield's marketplace.
Kimber's
Designs...
Are International icons.
An artist/designer/scientist- Knows their name sits in the penumbra of their Focus/challenge/product.
GOOD, PERCEPTIVE DESIGN HAS NO NATIONALITY.
Now we see architecture, car design as Neoplasticism (aerodynamic form) Radically simplified forms. A rationality and functionality.
We see flair and spirit in mass production.
"WE" afix enamel Union Flags to our cars, but Kimber breathed Maserati into his designs.

I think it is hard to gauge the undercurrents that swept through the social strata of Europe as Hilter reshaped Germany into a
"Go Ahead" philosophy. I think some may have felt Cecil Kimber was
"change for change sake."

I do feel that (Nuffield/Thomas) many took the advantage to "change the guard" and create a more predictable state.

In Germany, where aerodynamics was falling on the side of the rear engined motor car...Steel pressing for All Steel motor vehicles allowed production numbers to rapidly increase. Became the greener pasture that Cecil Kimber saw as the future.

Kimber wanted to create proper aerodynamic, road racing cars.
The J2 to K3 were merely a preamble....

Edited by - spitfire on 23/12/2012 19:42:43
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2012 :  10:59:19  Show Profile
I see you've discovered the coloured fonts, Gary. Try not to get too carried away !

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2012 :  20:33:25  Show Profile
Get your 3D glasses on! I have actually tried to amend the colour - but it won't revert?
It dealt with many subjects running in tandem.
Purple: How Cecil saw proper aerodynamics as primarily, I would expect, a race winner. He never would give up chasing having the advantage. This ran through the whole gamut of car production. The most advanced engineering, the cleanest of lines of his designs. The avid promotion of the MG marque.
Blue: He understood a part of the marketplace that yearned for speed.
Green: Was part of the new metal form of the Airliner.
Blue: Good design
Red: Has no nationality.
Blue: (Nazi) Germany was where it WAS ALL COMING TOGETHER.
That's why I feel Cecil Kimber was annexed.
I have been a designer using coloured fonts (more, typefaces)for years.
They breakdown complex threads of information.
I did it like this as many elements that Cecil Kimber was associated with and WOULD NOT DROP were starting to powerhouse in Nazi Germany @1936.
A shame, when we had other home grown talents, producing Schneider Trophy winning aeroplanes...
That morphed into The Spitfire.
Perhaps...Just perhaps. If CK had produced an outstanding tank. With a team around him redeveloping it "on the hoof." They CRUSHED a talented, perceptive man.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6127 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2012 :  22:14:20  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by spitfireI have been a designer using coloured fonts (more, typefaces)for years.
They breakdown complex threads of information.

spitfire, have you ever thought of using paragraphs? They really are a rather good way of breaking down complex threads of information and making them intelligible. And this would would save you having to use your coloured crayons not to mention starting almost every sentence on a new line.

And could you please, please stop SHOUTING?
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2012 :  23:05:28  Show Profile
How many paragraphs/pages do you want?
The rest...

Edited by - spitfire on 23/12/2012 23:05:59
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2012 :  10:32:43  Show Profile
Good morning everyone - or afternoon/night if you inhabit a different time zone from the UK.

This topic is entitled 'Hello' but perhaps it's a good moment to rename it 'A bientôt', because it has probably run its course?

In response to Simon's input concerning Gary's contributions, I think it's fair to point out that Gary, like all of us, shares a huge passion, commitment and affection towards the MG lineage.

So let's agree to live and let live, recognising that each of us expresses him/herself differently in print, just as in the spoken word.

As far as I know there are no rules about the style of language to be used on this Forum, so you can choose between Shakespeare, Wordsworth, T S Eliot, Bob Marley, Sylvia Plath, Hergé or anyone else as far as I'm concerned.

But above all, let's stay polite, avoid shouting (even inadvertently) and help keep this Forum constructive, informative and friendly.

Merry Christmas!
Your humble Chairman
Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK

Edited by - DickMorbey on 24/12/2012 10:39:38
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2012 :  10:48:25  Show Profile
I am not sure what I started here, but I have to agree with chairman Dick. I just wanted to say ' hello ' to everyone...

Chris
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000