Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Kimber Magnette
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chris Bucknell

Australia
107 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2012 :  01:22:33  Show Profile
OK so here is a new topic for the history buffs to fill in. Apparently Kimber owned a supercharged magnette that according to some actually was fitted with prototype independent suspension (for the R-Type). I have seen a photo of the car (funnily enough I think it had 16 inch wheels from memory. Also mentioned in an interview with Mike Edmonson I think. So what does anyone know about this car and what became of it?

gordclark

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2012 :  05:52:56  Show Profile
Are you referring to the Jensen-bodied K3 (K3025)? The (absolutely gorgeous, IMHO) Jensen body and chassis were split up and K3025 ended up as a proper K3 race car, last owned I believe, by Miles Collier in the states; and the body went on to a K2 chassis K2021.

But I didn't know it had an IRS. Perhaps someone can correct me on this.

If this is the car, I picked up a photo of it at Kimber House a couple of years ago.

MG should have made this into a production car, As I said, in my humble opinion - absolutely gorgeous!

Gord Clark
Rockburn, Qué.
Go to Top of Page

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2012 :  07:48:24  Show Profile
Chris may be referring to the Corsica DHC K type. A lovely one-off.

Matthew.
Go to Top of Page

Martin Warner

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2012 :  10:03:34  Show Profile
Some years ago the car was owned by Peter Warne. it was a K1 chassis with a standard beam axle and front mounted blower. The body was a styling prototype for an SA Tickford. Rather too much for a K chassis! It had a lovely patina. The rear end had been changed from all the photos in MG books but as it was very professionally done I would think that it was a factory styling alteration.

I think Peter sold it abroad. He could confirm.

Martin
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2012 :  10:37:32  Show Profile
The Corsica car is K 0354 - U.K. Registration number JB 3717, and was Cecil Kimber's personal transport for a couple of years. As Martin says, the car was owned by Peter Warne for a number of years, certainly up to 2001, when it was listed in the MMM Register in his name. By the time the 2005 Register was published, the name of the owner was omitted from the records, and that is how it has remained ever since.

Somewhere I read the story of the car being fitted with IFS using experimental pressed steel and welded wishbones, which I think collapsed during a journey "oop North" and a conventional K1 front axle was subsequently re-fitted.

The three-quarter front views of the car show it to be a really beautiful and stylish design, but I am afraid that the back-end treatment let the overall appearance down quite considerably.

Jean Cook, (Kim's youngest daughter) experienced 100 mph travel for the first time in "The Corsica".

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Bucknell

Australia
107 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2012 :  23:13:46  Show Profile
OK. So I must admit I was a little non specific because I simply do not know what cars Kimber drove or owned. So what other cars did Kimber have as "drivers". I guess he probably never actually owned them as such and that the factory owned them.

Also does anyone else find it a bit strange that such a historically signficant car has dropped off the "register radar" in 2001. It is not as if it disappeared in 1935 or something. Where is it? Who owns it? What is the story of this car? Is there a factory record? I will email Peter to ask if he is willing to tell us what he knows.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Ross Kelly

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  08:53:31  Show Profile
hi All,

A report by Cecil Kimber on the SC Magnette

cheers

ross Kelly

Go to Top of Page

Nick Dean

United Kingdom
444 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  21:11:29  Show Profile
Chris, I beleive the car is in a private collection in Ireland, and I heard recently that the owner had forgotten he still owned it. The car is said to be in a sorry state . cheers, Nick.

N A Dean
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2013 :  13:12:26  Show Profile
If that is the case- The CC should liberate it! There are many cars/property where there is a shared ownership. Why not a club situation where this could take place? Unload a car you rarely use and invest to have access to driving Kimber's own transport. Better than money in the bank and a fitting home for the CK car. With the club he started.
This could even be something for worldwide members. Holiday here and have access to this car.

Edited by - spitfire on 06/01/2013 13:21:56
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000