Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Powder Coating J2 Chassis
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2013 :  17:29:29  Show Profile
Before I get too involved with the newly aquired J2 restoration, what is the general feeling towards powder coating ?

I have up to now sprayed my bare chassis's ( media blasted clean ) with Extreme Chassis Black Paint by Eastmans( from Frosts ). I have had good results from this paint. I was reading in my newly aquired ' Practical Guide ' by G. Howell that Powder Coating is the way to go.

What is the general concensus ? The only J2 I have seen thus far is in a showroom, this had a powder coated chassis.

Chris ( J2353 )

paul55

Luxembourg
732 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2013 :  17:48:18  Show Profile
just my opinion, but powder coating hides the chassis history. It covers all the small imperfections that a chassis should show after 80 years. but again, its just my 2 bob's worth,
Paul.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3682 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2013 :  17:49:35  Show Profile
Chris, I think there has been some traffic on this subject on our Forum, but probably in the archived posts now.

I think there is a fairly firm view that powder coating may not be the way to go, for a variety of reasons - principally because corrosion can arise from small stone chips and then travel undetected under the paint finish, causing further corrosion until it erupts.

Powder coating may also produce a super-lustrous fnish which some people consider OTT!

I was advised to use a spray-on polyurethane enamel. This was applied professionally immediately after the chassis was blast cleaned and 12 years on it is still in a happy condition.

And now over to the others ....

Dick
PA/PB 0743
Nr. Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3251 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2013 :  17:53:39  Show Profile
Also, a tightened bolt/nut can cause chipping of the hardened power coat leading to the sub-surface rust Dick mentioned. Paint will be more flexible and forgiving.

Lew Palmer
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2013 :  17:56:55  Show Profile
Thanks Chaps....thats just what I thought, but I needed to make sure.

Chris ( J2353 )
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2013 :  18:23:37  Show Profile
If you have to make any mods at all such as drilling a hole for a clip the integrety of the powder coating is lost. If it is painted you just need to get out the tin and the brush.

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
773 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2013 :  12:41:43  Show Profile
Try ICI Weathershield System..... go to a Dulux Centre and get it there as they will do a proper oil based mix of undercoat an(dark grey) and Black.. and for metal..and can be patched up at any time! as I know with my car.....
Foz
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
773 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2013 :  14:29:53  Show Profile
PS......forgot to mention (seemed obvious at the time) that 1932 cycle wings cars had the exposed parts of the chassis painted body colour.....so take a colour sample to get the right chassis colour mixed.
Foz
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2013 :  15:13:52  Show Profile
Thanks Foz, Did that apply to 1933 models as well ? Sorry to be picky but I am new to this model.

Chris ( J2353 )
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
773 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2013 :  09:17:14  Show Profile
Hi Chris,
cycle wing J2/3/4 and F2......I believe all were painted this way.....changed when MG went on to swept wings.
Foz
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2013 :  09:34:36  Show Profile
I gave up on all of this and painted my F2 black! It was a popular "colour" back in the old days and it suited me (and the car!).
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6179 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2013 :  10:34:57  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by Foz

Hi Chris,
cycle wing J2/3/4 and F2......I believe all were painted this way.....changed when MG went on to swept wings.
Foz
[/quote

Have to disagree there, Foz. From this photo of my car in its youth the exposed chassis frame below the front valance is clearly darker in colour than the surrounding bodywork. Definitely black I would say.

Edited to crop photo

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 29/01/2013 10:45:08
Go to Top of Page

Jamie

Canada
218 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2013 :  16:31:40  Show Profile
My understanding is that the upper and lower cycle wing supports are indeed painted body colour, the chassis rails and crossmembers being black, ie, the exposed chassis/frame below the valence was always black.
Jamie
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6179 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2013 :  16:58:55  Show Profile
Agreed, Jamie, my photos would bear that out and that's the way the car is again today.
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2570 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2013 :  17:06:15  Show Profile
It seems to me, & this is only speculation; I have no facts, that we are talking of a £200 car. Are they seriously going to take chassis aside & paint them red, green or whatever? Surely they had a stack of black frames & cars were built up on these?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6179 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2013 :  17:23:49  Show Profile
The notion may have come from photos of the prototype where the chassis rails are clearly painted the same as the body.

And note the hood and side screens which are clearly not black!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000