Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Powder Coating J2 Chassis
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sam christie

United Kingdom
3115 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2013 :  17:49:07  Show Profile
Simon, do you have the original negative for this picture? A different print might reveal more. How things look relates very much to how the photograph is printed. I think this has come up before but by way of illustration-

Some shaded areas in the picture below look black but could simply be in shadow (such as the undersides of the guards, the headlamp supports and the ground under the car). Even chrome can look black if what it reflects is not lit.

The chassis certainly looks black but it is very hard to be sure.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 29/01/2013 17:52:10
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3682 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2013 :  17:52:54  Show Profile
I think that one of the pictures posted by Sam has been scanned in such a way that a 'moiré' effect has been created.

This can happen unless the scanned image is first descreened and it does create textures that might not have been present in the original. Just a thought ....

Regards
Dick
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2013 :  18:04:55  Show Profile
Thanks to everyone....I am going to email the last owners widow Angela, her husband dismantled the car many years ago and I am hopeful that she may be able to help with the chassis colour.

The colour at the moment is black, Michael Bird started to re-assemble the car but only got as far as rear axle with springs, Andre Hartford suspension, handbrake and brake cables, nothing was completed at the front end. All these fitted items are new.

I suspect that Michael painted the chassis before starting the rebuild, I will let everyone know Angela's reply.

Chris ( J2353 )
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6179 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2013 :  18:13:33  Show Profile
Sam

Sadly I do not have any negatives of any of the photos I have. But it think it would be quite a stretch of imagination to conclude that the difference in tone of the chassis and the front apron is imaginary and that they are in fact the same colour. To my eyes there's a clear contrast between them and the same s true of other photos I have. It's just that this one is the clearest and the car seems to be very new so no fading of paint, etc.
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2013 :  07:23:41  Show Profile
I have received a reply from Angela Bird ( ref: The Chassis Colour )
and early recollections of J2353 dismantled in Cyprus. When her husband Michael first obtained the car back in the early 1960s the chassis was definately black, although the bodywork had been repainted red, over the grey. The body had not been removed for repainting so the chassis must have been painted black from the cars original construction . Angela also attached some photos of a J2 painted in grey that was in Michaels ' J2 library ' this is not their car J2353 ( reg. no APB 560 )but a car Michael had kept for reference. I rather like the colour scheme..especially with red wheels and interior.

Michael's car was called ' poppet '..we will continue to use the name.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to my query.

Chris ( J2353 )

Brighton, East Sussex & Paphos, Cyprus.
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2013 :  07:56:44  Show Profile

Edited by - MG Maverick on 30/01/2013 08:16:10
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2013 :  08:36:12  Show Profile
Unable to post the photos from Michael Birds ' J2 Library ' as they were not his copyright. Sorry

Chris ( J2353 )

Brighton, East Sussex & Paphos, Cyprus.
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2013 :  22:48:40  Show Profile
Getting back to chassis finish, I personally would not powder coat it. Ordinary black enamel is plenty good enough, in my view. In any case, not much of the chassis is visible, just the sides of the dumb irons, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2013 :  15:10:35  Show Profile
I know this subject seems to have run its course but....

One enquiry reached me this week and I think there is an important addition to the string: When it comes to identifying a chassis stamping, powder coating tends to fill the stamping in, to the point where it is awkward or impossible to read it clearly. Painting over it has a lesser effect, making the task easier. That said, it is always easy to read a stamping when there is nothing applied to it, other than a smear of grease to stop the dreaded oxide forming.

Regards

Robin

J2 J3666 & J3 3764
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000