Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG Car Club badge colours
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Keith Gosden

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2013 :  22:25:55  Show Profile
Can anyone please advise me as to why the club badges have different colours and which dates apply to the various colours. I notice that there is a blue badge on e-bay purportedly stating to be from the 1970's but not sure if this is correct. Ideally I would like to know what colour the background was in the 1930's.

Thanks. Keith

Oz34

United Kingdom
2569 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2013 :  23:30:11  Show Profile
This may be well wide of the mark but, the Twin Cam Group badge is an ordinary MGCC badge, in blue, but with a little "top knot" attached with "Twin Cam Group" on it. It should be quite possible to remove that.

Any help?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3682 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2013 :  23:32:38  Show Profile
Hello Keith

Assuming you are referring to the M.G. Car Club, the following appears on the Club's main website at: http://www.mgcc.co.uk/about-the-club-topmenu-85/history-of-the-badge.html

MAny of the Club's Centres, Registers and Overseas Branches will have their own derivatives, which may complicate things further?

Some pof the chromium plated Club badges on Ebay seem to have have a bluish tinge, but maybe this is caused by reflected light - is that what you're referring to?

Regards
Dick
Go to Top of Page

Keith Gosden

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2013 :  10:25:35  Show Profile
Thanks for the responses. The 'blue' badge is indeed a reflection (should have looked more closely at that)!! One on e.Bay (1970's) has Black lettering whilst the other (1940's) has Brown (I hope this is correct and not another trick of the light!!). It was this difference that I was hoping to find information on. As far as I can see the link from Dick, many thanks, relates to the main MG logo rather than the club badge.

Thanks for all the help anyway.

Keith

Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
913 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2013 :  11:53:57  Show Profile
Keith,
Club badges and colours are explained in the MGCC book "The First Seventy Years". The very first club badge was designed by John Thornley & was an octagon with the letters MGCC inside it. The first of the "shield" badges came in early 1931, but they had the letter "C" in top left & bottom right diagonals rather than the words "Car" & "Club". The badge we know now was introduced "probably" by 1932 & has always been cream/brown.

There is also the green badge that was issued to associate members. Associate membership was introduced in 1936, intended for members who did not have an MG and was the same design as the regular badge, but cream/green and numbered. Protocol dictated that "proper" club badges were only worn on an M.G.

Pre-war, "The Sports Car" carried a number of annoucements regarding the "correct" use of club badges.

This will all sound very familiar to those of us who've fallen foul of flag etiquette in yacht clubs!

JH
Go to Top of Page

Keith Gosden

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2013 :  13:09:27  Show Profile
Many thanks for the reply and all the information, just what I needed. I suspect there will be an addition to my birthday present list in the form of 'The first Seventy Years' book. Thanks again and good to know that what I have is correct and 'eligible' for display on my MG!

Keith
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000